Chapter 3||

'What greater punishment is there than life when you've lost everything that made it worth living?'

In my eighteen years of life, there wasn't one day that I'd actually wake up and walk into the kitchen and be able to greet my parents. They were always working, so much so that after a while, waking up and coming home to an empty house seemed the norm.

However, this morning was an exception. Why? I wouldn't be able to say. But as I waltzed into our large, rarely used and extravagant kitchen, I was genuinely surprised to see not one but both my parents there. By the time I'm awake, they'd usually be speeding out the door. Merely able to shout out a rushed goodbye.

"Is this an alternate universe?" I asked loudly as I eyed them carefully.

Looking up from her mug of coffee, my mother glanced at me warily, my humor seeming to be anything but funny to her. My dad sat at the granite counter, of course, clad in his smart suit, phone pressed to his ear as he smiled lightly at me.

"Good morning, darling," My mother said, placing her mug down as she scrolled through her tablet.

Even when they're here, it still seems like they're so freaking distant.

"Why are you guys home?" I asked with a pause. "Not that I don't like it or anything," I quickly added.

"We're just running a bit late," She said as she stood to her feet, brushing off her fitted black dress.

"Okay," I drawled, pouring myself some coffee.

"Susan, hurry, the driver is here," My dad snapped impatiently, unemotionally pecking my cheek before both him and my mother left the house, leaving me once again in the all too familiar silence.

Sighing, I glanced at the kitchen clock before scrambling for my bag and car keys, upon realizing I was far too late for school which then lead me to the thought of seeing Elijah again not only after our strange encounters yesterday but at the discovery that I'd made last night.

Emily was Elijah's sister. Elijah was Emily's brother. They were related. Now I just felt even more sorry for him, putting aside the fact that he's a total asshole. Of course, I wasn't some kind of God but maybe all Elijah needed was to see that people cared, maybe he needed to know that having someone to talk to can make a great difference.

Once again, I made the death wish decision to try yet again to befriend the brooding bad boy.

*

Parking my car quickly, I grabbed my bag and rushed through the sea of kids in the hallways just as the bell rang signaling the beginning of first period, which happened to be English with Mr. Clinton. His classes were one of the only ones I actually enjoyed attending. He was vibrant, the class was lively and interaction between everyone was just so amazing. Today we're supposed to be reviewing the play Romeo and Juliet.

Taking a seat in the back, I greeted Arabella with a smile.

"So, any thoughts on approaching tall, dark and handsome today?" She asked, wiggling her eyebrows suggestively.

I laughed at her nickname yet I couldn't deny that each adjective described Elijah perfectly. Tall, dark and handsome was exactly what he was.

"As idiotic as it sounds, I do," I muttered.

"You really are crazy. The guy totally blew you off yesterday, why do you still insist?"

"Did I mention I'd also sort of ran him over with my car?" I said with a sheepish look as Arabella's eyes widened.

"What the hell?"

"It was an accident," I quickly defended.

"What happened after?" She asked, almost ready to tumble out her seat with excitement.