Chapter 20||

*Trigger Warning*
There's mention of suicide in this chapter. It's not gruesome but I want to prep you guys just in case.

'The best place in the world is in the arms of someone who will not only hold you at your best but, will pick you up and hug you tight at your times of weakness'

It appeared that Elijah had been waiting for me at the parking lot of the cafe. The minute my car had stopped in the parking lot, he was at my door, hauling it open in urgency.

As I stepped outside, his arms unsteadily  wrapped around me, drawing my petite body close to his. I could feel the rapid beating of his heart against my head as it lay against his chest. His hands held me close, almost afraid to let go and for just a moment, I wondered if this was how friends hugged eachother.

"Tessa," He called as he pulled away from me, his hands coming up to grasp my shoulders. "Are you okay?"

"I am."

His eyes narrowed down at me in disbelief. "I don't think you are. What the fuck did he say to you? You were quite shaken up just now."

I inhaled deeply. "He told me to give you a message."

"What was it?"

"He told me that--- he said Emily wasn't going to be the only person to get hurt unless you deliver the money that you owe."

Elijah glared at nothing in particular as he stared ahead, his right hand coming up to run it though his unruly curls. He was beyond angry and the dark exoression on his face almost scared me. However, I knew Elijah would never hurt me --- well, physically at least.

"I'm so fucking sorry Tess,"  He apologized, his gaze now meeting mine.

"It's okay."

"Okay?! It's not fucking okay, have you taken a look at a mirror? There's a bruise on your jaw."

"It's nothing," I said, my hand reaching up to brush against the sore area.

"This is all my fucking fault. I shouldn't have brought you into my mess," He shook his head in self loathe. "Don't tell me it's nothing. It's everything."

"Elijah," I called. "I'm fine. Yes, I'm a little shaken after the whole thing but I'm in one piece."

"What if he did something worst Tessa? What if he fucking--" He gulped.

Hesitantly, I raised my hand to cup his  left cheek as I turned his head to face me. "He didn't though. I'm okay. It's okay."

"Are you sure?"

"I am." I nodded.

"Let's get inside, you're  probably feezing," He said. I nodded in response as Elijah's hand clasped the small of my back and he guided me forward. Once inside, we took a seat at a table to the far corner that over looked the parking lot.

Once we were seated, neither of us said anything. I was still trying to grasp the fact Elijah's dad knew about my brother. No one outside of our family knew about him or atleast what really happened to him. As far as they're concerned, he's far off at the other side of the world studying at some high end college. That was the little story my mother had created in order to protect her image as she'd said.

I took a quick glance at Elijah, his eyes were focused outside as he appeared to be in deep thought. I know that most people would be scared after what just happened and simply cut all ties with Elijah but I couldn't. I didn't feel fear when around him nor did I want to stop being his...friend either. Although, at times a part of me wished that Elijah and I could have become something more. However, Elijah had made it clear his feelings for me earlier, I wasn't going to attempt anything. If being his friend is all he's willing to offer then I'd gladly accept.