07 | parting paths to destiny

║parting paths to destiny━━━ (CHAPTER SEVEN)

━━━ (CHAPTER SEVEN)

ANEMONE REMEMBERED THE LAST TIME she had ridden a broomstick before. Her mother, naturally, only owned one and she'd often use it to travel elsewhere for weeks but the rare times she didn't and stayed at home because she had been lightheaded quite a few times, Anemone would sneak out and try it out. Sort of like a teenager sneaking out to ride their cool-black-sunglasses uncle's motorbike when they think their mother's asleep. The feeling's indistinguishable. Cooling wind brushing past your hair, a feeling of thrill rolling down your spine as your stomach backflips in excitement, your tongue tasting freedom on the roof of your mouth. She's determined to feel that feeling again.

Especially since she last felt that feeling five-years-ago and hadn't ridden a broom since.

That being said, it couldn't be that hard. It shouldn't be that hard. If ten-year-old-single-celled-brain Anemone Coralis could do it, then so could fifteen-year-old-still-single-celled-brain Anemone Coralis. Besides, how challenging could riding a broomstick be?

Apparently quite. Especially when your mana constantly spirals out of control.

Raising a foot over the wooden item and then comfortably sitting down on the broomstick, Anemone firmly gripped the front. Visible and apparent confusion painted her facial features. "Oh... kay. Now what?"

WHOOSH!

Wind mercilessly blasted her face as her light azure tresses flung wildly, Anemone finding herself soaring through the coliseum at an inhumanly rapid speed, looking nothing but like a blue blur in the sight of the examinees and the captains. She squealed with both delight at the feeling of the fresh breeze and fear at the sudden transition from the ground to the air. Countless of eyes glued to her frame and honestly, Anemone had never been more embarrassed with herself. (It was embarrassing enough that somewhere in the back of her mind, she could hear her ten-year-old self mocking her).

'Stupid broom! Control it, Anemone!' She berated herself, her tenacious grip on the wood tightening. Her brows furrowed with concentration and her eyes closed. Fortunately, within a split second, the wild swift movements slowed down sluggishly and she found herself stopping in mid-air just before she could crash into Yuno.

Silence enveloped the two before Anemone broke it with a weak, almost nervous chuckle, slowly opening her eyes to reveal her lapis gemstones. "Hey, Yuno. I see that you're having fun."

Yuno merely blinked at first as a response. He was one of those talented applicants who effortlessly rode their broomstick. Well, in Yuno's case, he was standing on the piece of oak with perfect balance, the wind caressing his raven hair nicely. "Yes. Riding a broom is a piece of cake. Though I suppose you're having fun too, Anna."

Anemone scoffed, looking away. "Psh. If you count flying around the coliseum with absolutely no control at first as fun. Bet you're having all the fun by showing off to everyone here."