26 | fraud to humanity

║fraud to humanity━━━ (CHAPTER TWENTY SIX)

║fraud to humanity
━━━ (CHAPTER TWENTY SIX)

IN THE SHADOWS AND LOW LIGHT OF THE SCONCES, Anemone's eyes seemed to encompass a strange duality between two different states, wavering and flickering at the same time

IN THE SHADOWS AND LOW LIGHT OF THE SCONCES, Anemone's eyes seemed to encompass a strange duality between two different states, wavering and flickering at the same time. The shadows had rendered her eyes almost completely black so when Borja first entered the room and took one look, the sight nearly had her jump on the spot. At any rate, Anemone was an interesting person in terms of her eyes. Borja commonly heard the phrase the eyes are the window to one's soul and believed it was true to a certain extent, but with Anemone, there was a certain degree of complexity to them that couldn't easily be deciphered or explained.

Every time they had conversation and held eye contact, Borja couldn't help but notice the perpetual darkness in her eyes on the borderline of lifelessness comparable to that of vintage dolls. At first, it was creepy. But gradually, as she got to know her, the lifelessness in her eyes no longer turned out to be cold. They'd sparkle dimly at the littlest of things she found fascinating or soften to exhibit a special kind of warmth whenever she took care of Salem.

Anemone Coralis was an honest person. She'd smile and it'll be full of a candour and humanity to it rarely seen on anyone else. Her lips would curl up ever so slightly as a warm firefly light would fill her eyes and it's the kind of expression Borja wished she saw her wearing more.

"...ja, Borja?" The older knight snapped out of it as Anemone's attention went from the newspaper to her standing in the middle of the room. "Are you alright? Is there somethin' on my face?"

"No, no! Everything's fine." Borja laughed it off nervously. "I was just spacing out. Reading the newspaper? That's odd."

"Yeah, I thought you couldn't read." Mirela jabbed an insult at her, having just entered the room.

"That's not what I—"

"I can read!" Anemone huffed, cutting Borja off. She flipped to a random page on the newspaper and pointed to a word. "See? This says 'marionette'."