11 | end of eternal winter

║end of eternal winter━━━ (CHAPTER ELEVEN)

━━━ (CHAPTER ELEVEN)

CONFUSION WOULD BE AN UNDERSTATEMENT for Anemone's state as soon she caught the words slipping past the adversary's lips like butter. 'What?' Heath was not given any more chances to perform his final decision to dealing with the Blue Rose knight as Asta appeared behind him like a bolt of lightning, broadsword glinting dangerously.

"LEAVE HER ALONE!" He yelled, attempting a fatal slash at his back but missed.

Heath ducked swiftly and planted his palms on the soil, summoning ice for the broadsword to scratch like metal scraping against a chalkboard. Asta landed beside his childhood friend and the Ice Magic-user stood, straightening his posture and having yet to appear fatigued.

"Master would be pleased if I were to bring her back to him." His eyes matching the shade of rough scales patterned along a tundra dragon's spine glued to her frame. "Change of plans. I will execute everybody here but the Blue Rose knight."

"You won't be executing anybody!" Anemone snapped and used her uninjured arm to send a water slicer at him. It missed.

GRUNCH!

Anemone bit back a scream of agony as searing pain coursed through her body, ice sprouting from the ground and wounding the side of her abdomen.

"I'M NOT DONE YET!" Asta screamed as he launched off the ground, appearing behind Heath before he could lay a finger on the water dome.

But Heath easily evaded the attack by summoning his largest ice spike yet, throwing away the boy like a rag doll. "I'm surprised someone like you is still alive. Best hope that the girl is too."

Anemone laid unmoving on the ground, blood staining the permeable soil.

Asta's feet firmly crunched the ground as soon as he managed to balance himself steady again, teeth clenched upon hearing his heartless words. "NOT DONE YET!"

Again, Heath struck him.

But Asta refused to fall and give in. "Not... yet..." He panted, exhaustion beginning to strain his movements.

Anemone could barely lift her head off the ground, staring at her childhood friend. The way she looked at him was the same way a dazzled child would gaze at a star.

"It's impossible for you to win this." Heath turned his full attention to the Anti-Magic user. "Why don't you just give up?"

"If I give up..." He panted, struggling to stand as his broadsword became his support. "Who's going to protect them?!" His words coated with honesty warmed the hearts of the villagers. "I realised, you see... this isn't just about keeping a promise. I'm gonna become the Wizard King in order to protect everybody!!"

"Wizard King, huh?" For the first time, Heath emitted a cold chuckle filled with meaningless amusement. "A ridiculous dream... unfortunately, you're about to die. And if you're dead set on protecting everybody here...