Chapter 31: Grieving Jedi

Lux felt like the biggest jerk in the world. Or to be more precise, Lux knew that his future self would feel like the biggest jerk in the world. His rent for the Coruscant flat was nearly up and he'd somehow lost a lot of his money during their latest adventures. Although that wasn't much of a riddle as to how he lost it. Due to this though, Lux would soon have to leave Coruscant and subsequently Ahsoka. While he knew that Ahsoka and Padme would give him enough money for another couple of months, Lux was too proud and kind to ask for money from his motherly figure and bereaved friend.

Ahsoka had spent every night since Obi-wan's death in Lux's flat and had rarely left. She went to the Jedi Temple every now and again but the grieving Togruta could barely hold herself together when she was anywhere near something that reminded her of Obi-wan. It hurt too much. Anakin was in a similar state of grief but perhaps thrice as worse. It had been days since anyone had seen him except Senator Amidala who assured the Jedi that he was processing the events by himself and would return to them when ready. 

Some members of the Jedi Council also felt dreadful for putting the Knight and Padawan through this but they knew it had to be done. They had received a transmission from Obi-wan so far but that was all. Mace Windu and Yoda hoped that the next time their undercover friend contacted them; it would be with some good news.

Lux was broken out of his deep thoughts by the sound of shuffling from the bedroom. Ahsoka was up. Standing up, the Senator walked over to her and gave her a small smile. "Hey 'Soka. How do you feel? I've made pancakes for breakfast so just come and get them when you're ready. Do you need anything?" He came and sat down beside her and wrapped his arms around her waist and rested his head in-between her lekku.

Ahsoka remained emotionless and static for a few minutes but then acknowledged him with a gentle nod of her head. This was new but not unexpected behaviour for Ahsoka over the last few days as Lux had realised. She was still in shock and couldn't quite yet process what had happened but Lux would always be there to make her feel better; regardless of what laws may be in place. "I want to go to the Jedi Temple.  I want you to continue with all of your political, Senatorial business. I want to see Barriss and Rex and the rest of my friends. I want to see my Master and see what missions we have today and I want to kick some clanker butt. I just want everything to carry on as normal. We are in a war and I have to fight in it." Brushing him off, Ahsoka stood up and made her way to the kitchen where Lux heard her swiftly and efficiently getting her breakfast.

Lux was worried. He and Ahsoka were different people so it made sense that they handled grief differently but he wasn't sure if running out to the front lines was the best plan. Still, he was at least pleased that she wasn't wallowing in her grief and trying to do something that might help. Seeing her Jedi friends properly might help her come to peace with everything and make Obi-wan's memory proud. He hoped.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Padme Amidala stood on a balcony overlooking the mid-morning Sun approach the skyline of Coruscant. It wasn't early in the morning, about half past nine and she was waiting for her husband to come out of the shower. He'd been a complete wreak since Obi-wan died and Padme was really trying to help him. In all honesty, she too was coming to terms with her grief as Obi-wan had been a good friend to her over the years. It seemed so bizzare to her today he was gone but wealthy and poor people went about their daily lives as though nothing world-shaking had happened. Well, she thought, to them it hadn't.

Padme was also worried about Duchess Satine. Anyone with a heart could have seen that the Jedi and the Duchess were close. Losing Obi-wan to her was like if Padme lost Anakin the Senator from Naboo concluded. Unthinkable. Satine had contacted her via hologram and just talked about their normal political routines and while it was important to talk; Padme felt no desire to bring up this hurtful subject.

The water turned off and Padme heard her beloved husband come out of the bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist. At least he hadn't drowned in the shower. "Hey Ani, how are you? Did you sleep well? I've prepared breakfast for you, Jogan fruit and Meilooran salad. Not much but it will do. Do you think you'll go to the Temple today? Lux just told me that Ahsoka went in, it'll be nice to see her again. It's important to be with the ones you love." She lent over the back of the couch and gave him a light kiss which he gently returned. She noticed that he was tense however and decided that s massage would be good for him. "Do you want a massage, Ani?" She asked him.

Anakin looked at her as though he was only just seeing her there. "No. I want to have breakfast and get dressed. I then want you to tell me where that little snake is so I can beat some sense into him. How does he know what Ahsoka's doing? Do you think he is spying on her?" He was stood up now and was angrily half-yelling while Padme looked on, dismayed. It didn't take a genius to work out who her husband was referring to. Lux.

Padme sighed and came at this issue diplomatically. "Lux is Ahsoka's friend. She went to him because she was- is- grieving. It doesn't mean anything, he's just worried about her. Just like I am about you Anakin. I'm sure Obi-wan would want you to continue being there for her and not controlling her life." Padme would spend the rest of the day and the next few weeks cursing herself for how she handled this.

Anakin's expression turned from angry to stone-cold. He looked at his wife with a cold fury. "YOU KNOW NOTHING OF WHAT OBI-WAN WOULD'VE WANTED! HE WAS MY MASTER AND MY BEST FRIEND! OBI-WAN WOULD'VE WANTED ME TO KEEP AHSOKA SAFE FROM SLIMY, SEDUCTIVE, STUPID SENATORS WHO ARE ONLY INTERESTED IN THEIR OWN AGENDA!" His voice became increasingly loud and Padme had to resist the urge to cover her ears. At least it was better if he got the majority of his anger out now and not around Lux.

Anakin didn't bother to continue with the conversation and stormed into their bedroom where he got changed in record time. He didn't even say goodbye to Padme or touch the salad she made as he slammed the door behind him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lux was sat at his desk looking on his computer for odd jobs he could do throughout Coruscant that paid reasonably well. He couldn't live with himself if he left Ahsoka now but he needed a job that wouldn't let Ahsoka or Padme onto his money struggles. A loud noise came from outside in the corridor but Lux wasn't too concerned until a huge thumping began to pound at his door. "I'm coming. Just a moment." Lux called out, hoping that it wasn't someone dangerous on the other side of the door. Opening it, Lux was greeted with the outraged face of Anakin Skywalker. "Oh! Hello Master Jedi, how can I help you?" He hoped that Ahsoka was okay.

Anakin's face turned into a scowl. "She's fine. Didn't your spies tell you that. I'm surprised Bonteri, seeing as how you know everything about her. I know something about you though now as well. So I'm going to make this nice and easy on you: Come with me and we will get you on a ship to a neutral world with no broken bones. Resist and Ahsoka will see you homeless and in hospital. I'm sure that you don't want to be a burden on her; not when she has already got so much to think about. A useless and ugly Senator to me seems to just be a waste of her time." Lux saw Anakin playing with his lightsaber and realised that this was a battle he wouldn't win.

Sighing in defeat, Lux took a pen and a post-it note out if his pocket and wrote his goodbye to Ahsoka. "It's okay. I'll go with you. No broken bones needed. I want to go to Onderon please." Anakin gave a gruff nod and shoved Lux out the door.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Over at the Jedi Temple, Ahsoka found herself smiling for the first time in s few days. It felt good to back to normality. She made a mental note when she got home to say thank you to Lux for helping her. Ahsoka stopped waking for a moment. She'd just called his flat home. With another smile, Ahsoka realised that was the truth and continued on her way. Suddenly, she felt a pain shoot through her head and the Force try to warn her. Something bad was happening to Lux and the sensitive Togruta had a feeling that their Happily Ever After was coming to an end...

I am sorry that it's been a couple of days since I last updated but I'm getting over a cold which meant that I didn't have the energy to write. I hope you enjoyed this chapter nonetheless though. I'll update on time again next time. Bye, bye.