Chapter 32: A Criminal

Yay! Carlac has reached over 600 reads! Thank you to all my loyal readers who have read this far. Now! On with the story!

Ahsoka was fuming. She could understand her Master would perhaps have told Lux to back off a little bit from his point of view but to send him to another planet! Talk about overreacting! She'd found Lux's note on the table when she had returned home and had immediately stomped her way over to where she knew Anakin would be. "ANAKIN MORTIMER SKYWALKER GET OUT HERE RIGHT NOW!" Ahsoka screamed at Padme's door in pure rage. At least Lux had been kind enough to tell her where he was now. However Ahsoka despised her Master for what he had done. 

Some of the people who lived in the other flats had begun to poke their heads out of their homes to see what was going on. Ahsoka glared at each of them in turn as the scared politicians ducked backed inside. She heard shuffling coming from inside the flat and Padme opened the door. "Ahsoka? What's wrong?" The Togrutan Jedi ignored the befuddles Senator and barged past her.

Scanning the entire flat, Ahsoka tuned into her Togrutan instincts to hunt her Master down but couldn't sense him here. "Where is Anakin?" Ahsoka hissed at her concerned friend.

Padme looked at her and then began to put two and two together with a sigh. "Has this got anything to do with Lux?" Ahsoka nodded. "I thought so. I must apologise Ahsoka for I believe that I may have stoked Ana- Master Skywalker's- dislike for him. I mentioned that you were staying over at his at the moment and that Lux had just commed me about you going to the Jedi Temple. I mentioned it as an opportunity for him to get up and be with you but he only focused on you being with Lux. I think Master Skywalker went to go and talk to him. What happened?" Padme sat down on her couch and motioned for Ahsoka to do the same.

Ahsoka refused and started to pace. "I have no idea what happened. What I do know however is that Anakin went over to Lux's flat for a talk and now Lux has gotten on a shuttle to Onderon. Leaving me. Now I want to know what exactly my Master said to him to make Lux think I would be better off without him." Ahsoka quit pacing with a sigh and looked at the older Senator.

Padme was deep in thought but snapped out of it when she'd realised that Ahsoka had stopped talking. "I'm sorry Ahsoka, I would've never mentioned it if I knew that Master Skywalker would go and do this. I'll talk to him if you don't see him before me." Padme reasoned and Ahsoka accepted. The two women hugged and Ahsoka turned to leave.

As her hand curved the door handle, Ahsoka looked back at the Senator. "Just make sure he knows how mad at him I am." Padme nodded with a slight smile and wave as the younger woman left.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obi-wan Kenobi as Rako Hardeen was stood in the middle of a prison mess hall. He had been given a disgusting yellow slop for food as well as some wary looks from other prisoners. He understood that; he'd be suspicious of someone who had killed a Jedi. Every table of the grey steel room was filled to the brim of criminals so Obi-wan took his time when choosing a place to sit. He didn't know who would be kind to him or not. Eventually, he chose to sit on the end of one of the tables her the left of the hall by himself but not for long. Two other prisoners came over to him and sat down. "Hey buddy, I hear you killed a Jedi. It true?" The man speaking was a Karkarodon and his buddy was a Rodian. Neither looked particularly friendly.

Obi-wan didn't even look up from his food. "Depends. What's it to you?" The Karkarodon clearly didn't like his attitude as he quickly changed demeanour.

"You know punk, it's polite to look at you are talking to." He leaped at the disguised Jedi with his fins ready to strike.

Obi-wan was ready however and quickly spun around and held the aggressive prisoner in a head lock. "I wouldn't mess with me if I were you," He growled. "You should be especially careful for I really like seafood for a snack. Plus, this slob tastes disgusting however a good fin never disappoints." Aggressively, Obi-wan put his fork close to the scales of the Karkarodon and his squirmed.

Their actions were clearly causing a stir as a Senate Guard looked over the railings at them. "Hey! What's going on down there?!" They shouted and Obi-wan quickly released him.

"Sorry," He called up as he returned to his meal, "Just playing with my food." The Rodian and the Karkarodon looked at each other with fear on their faces.

"You're crazy!" They yelled and ran away from the clearly cuckoo killer.

Obi-wan chuckled to himself and thought he would get a few minutes of peace but someone else came and sat opposite him. Obi-wan glanced up and nearly chocked on his forkful. It was the guy the Jedi suspected was behind the scheme to kill the Chancellor! Moralo Eval! "You know, you should be careful pulling a stunt like that in here again. Word gets around fast. I have to ask, did you really kill that Jedi?" Obi-wan was torn between getting closer to uncovering the truth about the plot and keeping his facade up. Eventually he gave in and nodded. Moralo Eval gave a low whistle and a slight grin in his direction. Obi-wan had earned his respect. "Why? Personal or business?" There was always a motive and Moralo liked to know which.

Obi-wan just shrugged. "I don't know, guess I was bored." He caught the glimpse of awe in the other criminal eyes and felt himself get closer to the truth.

Moralo Eval smiled and reached for something in his bag. It was a bottle of sauce. "Try it. It makes this slop almost bearable. Come to my cell later tonight, we have something we need to discuss." With that, the potential criminal mastermind walked away, leaving Obi-wan with a sauce and a potential lead. Curious, the undercover Jedi did put some of the chili sauce on his food and tasted it. It was hotter but that was better and it did surprisingly taste better. Obi-wan made up his mind then: He would go to the cell tonight and see what he could learn.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at the Jedi Temple, Master Yoda and Windu were stood around a holo-table, waiting for Obi-wan to contact them. Finally he did and the two eldest Jedi listened intently. "This is Ben. I think I have discovered the mastermind behind the plot to kill the Chancellor. Moralo Eval, like we suspected. He wants me to come to his cell tonight to potentially discuss the plan. I will keep you posted." His voice was barely more than a whisper but they understood every word he said.

Mace Windu was the first to speak. "Okay Obi-wan, keep us posted. And stay safe."

Obi-wan gave a slight chuckle. "Not to worry. I'm beginning to like playing the villain." The transmission ended and the two Jedi looked at each other. They hoped Obi-wan knew what he was doing.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter and that I updated on time. I can't remember if I have mentioned before but there is only a few chapters left of Carlac to go. Thanks to all my loyal readers who have read every chapter. I'll update soon so don't worry. Bye, bye.