Chapter 35: The Truth

Well this is the last chapter of Carlac- A Luxsoka Fanfic. My second ever story! There will be an epilogue so it isn't quite the end yet. I want to thank all of the readers of both my stories and I'm pleased to announce that Carlac has reached over 700 reads! Now, on with the story!

It had been two days since the Festival of Light. It hadn't gone completely smoothly as undercover Obi-wan and his criminal accomplices had tried to kidnap the Chancellor. Under the command of Count Dooku they had gone through a series of challenges in a specially designed room known as 'The Box' made by Moralo Eval. It had been made to test Bounty Hunters from across the galaxy to see if they were suitable for the mission. Obi-wan had just passed after Moralo challenged him to a fight to the death but the honourable Jedi had chose not to kill him. When they had arrived at Naboo they had taken disguises and various tasks. Obi-wan had been assigned as the sniper who would stun the Chancellor as the others got away with him. It was a good plan and the Bounty Hunters may have succeeded if the Jedi hadn't had Obi-wan as an inside man.

Dooku had heard his conversation with Mace Windu after days of no communication and had altered the plan. He'd tried to ambush the Chancellor and Anakin after he'd sent the rest of his security force home to Coruscant. Naturally, Anakin had been utterly furious and filled with a huge sense of betrayal when he'd discovered that the huge death of his best friend and Master was just a decoy. Obi-wan had the sense that the Chancellor had said something to his impulsive apprentice that only stoked his wounded pride further. Still, in a fit of betrayed rage, Anakin had asked Obi-wan something that had got the gears in his head turning. "HOW DO YOU EVEN KNOW IF YOU HAVE THE WHOLE TRUTH?!" It had been that question that triggered Obi-wan into searching his sniper kit once more and finding a listening device. This had allowed Obi-wan to get to the Chancellor as well as Dooku and Anakin and help stop him. He hoped Anakin would come to forgive him, in his own time at least.

Ahsoka had also been completely shocked at the reavalation of his survival. If she was feeling just as betrayed as Anakin then Obi-wan was impressed with the young Togruta as she was hiding it well. Despite being away for a few weeks, the eldest of the trio could immediately sense and see some tension between his favourite Human and Togruta. One day, after his transformation back into Obi-wan Kenobi, Jedi Master, he went over to Ahsoka's quarters to ask her about the underlying tension that could bubble to the surface at any minute. "Ahsoka? Do you have a moment?" He knocked on her door and waited for the reply.

There was a sound of shuffling from inside her quarters before Ahsoka called out. "Sure, Master Kenobi, come in." She opened the door using the Force and gestured for him to come in.

Obi-wan took a moment to look around her bare, minimalist room and compare it to his and Anakin's quarters. It was smaller and plain-coloured walls decoration the room with a small slitted window. There was nearly a praying shelf filled with small relics to commentate her adventures, a floor-length mirror and obiviously her bed. He did a double-take when he saw it: A mattress with a small navy pillow and mustard coloured blanket. Working for the Jedi didn't pay very well, it was a topic Obi-wan had bought up many times with the Council at the start of the war to change. He had always believed that they deserved to be paid better. Still, being a Jedi Padawan wasn't that glamorous either it seemed. Obi-wan caught himself for he was being rude; asking to see Ahsoka after pretending to have died yet spend the first few moments of their reunion judging her bedroom. "Can I help you Master Kenobi?" Ahsoka asked gently, waking him from his thoughts.

Obi-wan gave her an embarrassed smile. "Yes Ahsoka, excuse me, I just came to see how you were. Anakin has made his feelings towards me and the rest of the Jedi Council clear on the matter about my recent disguise. I do feel terrible that I put you both through it and you've been like yourself which I'm pleased about but I would hate it if you were simply keeping your emotions bottled-up." Ahsoka smiled back at him, looking touched that he had taken the time to ask.

She sat on her bed and looked at him. "I truly am okay Master, I'm just pleased that you and everyone else is safe. It was actually a really good plan that the Council went through with and without you we wouldn't have been able to have that inside information. You did what you had to do. Just like Anakin." She whispered the last part under her breath and it was do quiet the older Jedi wondered if he had made it up but the flash of hurt that disappeared as soon as it came proved Obi-wan wrong.

He took a deep breath and gently asked. "Does this have something to do with the slightly obvious tension between you two?" Ahsoka's head snapped up and she blinked at him in surprise. She hadn't expected Obi-wan to be able to hear her.

"Is it really that obvious?" She cringed and Obi-wan gave a small laugh.

"No, only to those who know you two best. Do you mind me asking what happened?" It wasn't his place to demand secrets be revealed to him when he'd kept one from them himself but Obi-wan did just want to help his friends.

She sighed and nodded as a sigh that he was allowed to query. "After we believed that you had passed, Anakin and I hid away from the world for a while with those close to us who weren't Jedi. If you remember, I'd recently returned from Carlac and then rushed off to Serenno after having a vision that Lux Bonteri was on danger. He had been staying in a flat near the health district of Coruscant. I'd also been staying with him and had taken to spending as much time as possible with him. However, I didn't know but Lux was running out of money to pay for rent and would soon have to get more money, find a cheaper place to live or leave me. About nine days ago now, I'd decided to head back to the Jedi Temple properly with Lux's support and continue to live my life with honouring your memory." Ahsoka stopped for a moment as both Jedi thought about how weird it was to be discussing moving on from the death of someone- with that someone! "Anyway, I sensed that something was wrong and when I returned home I discovered that Anakin had come round to have a little chat with him. Padme had mentioned where I was and he had freaked out. Then when I finally got him, I flipped out at him. We've been walking on eggshells around each other ever since." Ahsoka finished her recall with a sigh as Obi-wan absorbed this brand-new information.

He felt utterly terrible that his fake death had caused so much hurt and anger in those affected most deeply. "Ahsoka," He began gently, "What Anakin did behind your back was wrong of him; I'm sorry that he did that. However you did admit to flipping out at him so I feel confident enough to say that neither of you handled the situation well though. I understand to some degree your negativity towards him at this point but you must remember that-"

"That Jedi cannot form attachments. I know. That's what you're going to say. I've heard it all before Master, however I think that is one rule that I will have to come to understand on my own. Regardless of how many people tell me it's impossible for a Jedi to have a romantic relationship I know in my heart I will always question it until I realise Lux and I simply can't be. I thank you for coming over and checking up on me, I have missed you." Ahsoka looked resentfully at the floor and Obi-wan took that as his cue to leave. At least she was mature enough to know that she wouldn't understand until she was slapped with personal reasons.

With a bow, Obi-wan left Ahsoka alone to recover her joy and went in search of his impulsive former Padawan. Once he had left, Ahsoka stood up and lifted her bed up using the Force, pulling a medium-sized wooden box out from underneath it. Inside was a leather bound book with a picture of the Bonteri crest being carved around with a lightsaber. It was the book containing all the possible links between the Jedi and the political family of the Bonteris'; the one Lux and Ahsoka had found in his attic in his manor on Raxus. Next to it was a knitted hat with the insigna on it at well. There was also a segment of orange wrapped up in paper and a red crowbar. It was surprising how much she could fit in such a regular looking box. It contained souvenirs from her adventures with Lux to remind her of their times together.

With a sad smile, Ahsoka opened the book and flipped to the back where a series of pictures were kept. Pulling one from Raxus where they were standing on the gazebo, Ahsoka looked at it to remind her of a time before duty came into their relationship. She was standing with her back against Lux and resting her head on his neck while her hands interlocked with his. Lux had his head in-between her monstrals and both of them had a big, giddy grin of their faces. "I love you Lux, forever and always. I hope we see each other again soon." She kissed the photo and placed it back in the book before hiding the box again.

I won't repeat what I said at the beginning but I do hope that you really liked this chapter. After I finish the epilogue for Carlac I'm going to go back and rewrite the one for Raxus as I have been unhappy with it for a while. I'll make the final update soon. Bye, bye.