You Too, Flower.

I hear nothing but a deep breath, then silence. I go to hang up again, but he speaks.

   "V-Violet?" His voice is almost shaky and catches me off guard.

   "Yes." I swallow hard and hear him exhale swiftly and chuckle.

   "I didn't think your mom would tell you, or that you'd call," His voice softens. "But I'm glad you did."

   I lean back onto the couch, pulling a blanket over my legs. "Why not?" I sound small to my ears.

   He exhales gently and it sounds like he's walking around, maybe pacing? "I just wanted to talk to you. I know I don't deserve to after I left you and your mother alone, but you two have always been on my mind," He pauses and his tone sounds strained. "I wish I could take it back. It's been terrible living with the thought that you're out there somewhere, thinking I hate you, or that you don't deserve to be loved." His voice chokes up. "Violet, you've gotta believe me, I know I'm a horrible person, and even if you don't forgive me, I just needed you to hear this. I want you to know I'm sorry."

   My eyes are blurry and I feel my cheeks burn up. I fight back tears and say, "I can't forgive you right now, but if I see you mean everything you've said, I could forgive you, but I have to talk to Mom too."

   A soft sniffle echoes in my ear. "Okay. Okay. Thank you, Violet."

   I tell him I have to go, but he can message me whenever he wants. I get a glass of water before curling up on the couch and falling asleep.

Tuesday, March 15th

7:20 a.m.

   I wake up to the smell of pancakes, or waffles? And the sound of mom humming an old lullaby she used to sing to me as a kid. I rub my eyes and sit up, checking my phone and seeing a message from Jay.

      Morning sweetie. Wanted to see if you'd be interested in going to Jack's show next Tuesday. I can get you backstage afterward, and you don't have to pay. Let me know.

   I look over at my mom and she smiles at me, throwing some blueberries on the three plates of pancakes. I type back.

   I'm already going with some friends, but I'd like to meet you.

   I toss my phone onto the couch, walk over to the kitchen island, and dig into the pancakes with Anna and Mom by my sides.

7:58 a.m.

   I park my black Lexus across the street from the store. I stare at myself in the reflection of my car door. My dark blue jeans and lilac jersey looking back at me. I adjust my messy bun and head to work.

3:43 p.m.

   The day goes by, and customers are in and out, but all I seem to be focused on is my phone. Why do I want him to reply? He left us, left me.

   And as if I summoned him, my phone pings, showing a new message notification. I stare at it. I reach for my phone and a customer walks in. I sigh, place the phone in my pocket, and walk over to them.

   I lock up and head to the grocery store.

   Walking through the produce aisle, I spot a familiar face. Lukas! I stroll over to him with my cart and stop behind him, watching him find the perfect head of lettuce. He straightens his posture and pauses, probably sensing someone behind him.

   He spins around on his heel. His face lights up when he sees me and it makes me smile. He pulls me into a tight embrace, trapping my arms under his. I giggle and he pulls back, grabbing my arms.

   "Girl! How was the show? You didn't tell us anything!" He tosses the lettuce into his cart. I walk over to the tomatoes and tell him everything that happened.

   "He DM'd you?" He covers his mouth with his hand. "You're shitting me, right? Where's the camera?" He spins all around, pretending to look for hidden cameramen. I laugh and punch him on the shoulder. He rubs it softly then chuckles.

   "I still can't believe it myself," We're in the snack aisle, so I grab a couple of bags of chips and some chocolate. "Hold on, you wanna go to the show with me next Tuesday? I'm meeting Jay." I watch his face for a reaction.

   Lukas is my childhood best friend. We consider each other family now, and he knows everything there is to know about me and my past. He helped me get over Jay leaving. He showed me I was loved, and that I could make it without Jay.

   He takes a step back, examining my face. "Jay? Jay P?" His face is blank. He doesn't even blink. I nod my head, waiting for him to say something, anything.

   "Of course, I'm going! I'm not letting you meet him alone." He rolls his eyes and walks over to the checkout.

   I place the groceries on the kitchen island and pull my phone out of my pocket. I open Jay's message.

      That makes me happy, Violet. I'll see you at the show, and I can still get you backstage to meet him if you'd like.

   I smile, knowing I'll be backstage either way. I text back.

      I'll see how I feel on the day. Have a good evening, Jay.

   Before I can put my phone down, he texts back.

      You too, flower.

   I change into black shorts and a light blue crop T-shirt. I sit at my desk and pull up some of the pictures I took of Anna and my phone pings. Instagram. I click on it and it takes me to my dms. Right on top of the list is Jack with a little blue circle on the right. I open it.

   You decided yet?