Don't Forget The Jacket.

I make sure Anna gets to her room and in bed before I head into the bathroom to take a shower.

March 19th

10:23a.m.

   My eyes flicker open, then shut again. Too early, I think to myself, not checking the time and wanting to drift back asleep.

   As I feel myself fall back into unconsciousness, a sweet smell creeps into my room from the kitchen. I toss onto my back, keeping my eyes closed and inhaling the smells. French toast.

   Before I can choose whether to get up or go back to sleep, my room door opens and my eyes do the same. A blurry figure stands in front of me and I squint to see who it is. Mom.

   "Come on, you and Anna need food," She says softly before walking out the room and leaving the door open. A song starts playing throughout the apartment and I recognize it instantly. They Can't Take That Away by Jose James.

   I stretch and get out of bed.

12:02p.m.

   I shower and change into a light blue summer dress with white sandals. My hair, loose and wet as I step outside the apartment, walking towards my car.

   I'm getting my nails done for the show on Tuesday. I know it's a little early but today is my only free day. Tomorrow is mom's birthday and Monday I have work.

2:17p.m.

   I decided on black and white, marble coffin nails.

   Driving back to the apartment, I pass a black SUV and Jack comes to mind. The smirk on his face when he got into the car at the show.

March 22nd

9:00a.m.

   I shift onto my back, listening to the commotion on the other side of my door. Seconds later, the apartment is filled with It's Not That Serious by ASTN. The hypnotizing guitar draws me further away from my sleep as I climb out of bed and sing along. I open my door to find Anna, dancing around the living room. I chuckle and join her, our bodies swaying together and our voices very far from harmonizing.

   The song changes and Rats by Joy Again blasts around us. We stare at each other for a couple of seconds, then start jumping all around the room, singing into imaginary mics.

   The song ends and we both collapse onto the couch, breathless and panting. We smile at each other before she lays her head on my shoulder. I rest my head on hers as we catch our breath.

   "Ready for tonight?" She breaks the silence lingering between us as Busbeat by Charlie Burg plays faintly in the background.

   "Are you kidding? I'm losing my mind. He wants to see me, A!" I move and she lifts her head off my shoulder, watching my face.

   "Mmhm, I know. He likes that Violet charm I know and love."

   I giggle. "I don't know what to expect."

   She rolls her eyes. "He'll probably come to find you, pull you aside, and whisk you away into the moonlight."

My mouth opens and Anna bursts out laughing. It's too infectious to not laugh with her. Before I know it, we're both holding our stomachs with tears rolling down our faces. I love these moments.

   "We should go buy some outfits!" She says, taking a deep breath and wiping the tears away. I nod and we head out to the mall.

1:02p.m.

   We're on the way to Oakland. The roads are pretty much empty for the most part and we drive peacefully. Mac Ayres fills the car as we bop our heads and sing along.

   I call the hotel we're staying in for the night to make sure they're ready for us. It's a street away from the venue, so we won't be there too late. Since we're guess listed, I don't think we need to be there five hours early, but in case we aren't, we do have tickets.

   "Is your dad going to be there?" Anna lowers the volume of Rose so it's just loud enough to make out the song.

   I nod, looking out the window. I'm nervous, scared. I don't know how I'll feel when I see him after all these years of not knowing my father. After all the stories my mom told me, I thought he'd never reach out. I know she loved him and still does, but I'm sure he moved on, started a new family, and just wants to break me off properly. Tell me he loves me but can't be in my life.

   I feel a hand on my shoulder and turn, looking down at it then back up at Anna, who gives me a weary smile. I return it, sighing, before grabbing my phone out of my bag, where Jack's jacket hangs over it.

   There's a notification.

   Jay

   I'll be at the show early. See you later?

   I exhale loudly, worrying Anna and she turns the music off. I turn to her, confused.

   "Talk to me," Her voice is low, concerned.

   I let everything that's been building up these last twenty years out. The thought of not having my dad before I was even born has gone with me through everything. Always thinking I'm not good enough for anyone. Thinking no one wants me.

   I've ruined so many relationships thinking they stopped liking me.

   Anna keeps her eyes on the road, but when I face her, there's a tear building up in her eye and I just know she wants to hug me.

   I wipe my own tears away.

   "Now I'll have to redo my makeup," I say in the silence. She turns to me and laughs infectiously.

   My phone buzzes in my pocket. It's a dm from Jack.

   Don't forget the jacket.

   I smile, turning the music up. Anna and I sing for the rest of the drive.