Chapter II: First Day

oct

oct. 20

-

I dressed in a sweater, a pair of high waisted slacks, and a pair of dark green converse. I decided to let my hair do what it wanted, letting the loose curls fall into my face.

After making and eating breakfast I was in my car and ready to go. There was a light drizzle and the sky was a hazy grey. This is what I'd be seeing for the next eight months.

It took a while for the sleep to fade from my eyes. The drive took a mere fifteen minutes. But what hadn't faded was my nervousness.

The school was bigger than I expected it to be, but I guess that made sense. Greenwood was probably the only school in the town. I could see groups of kids around the parking lot even with it being extremely early. I parked my car in my assigned spot and made my way to the front set of doors.

My hands shook at my side, though I doubted anyone could notice. There was nothing scarier than teenagers staring at you, even at my age of twenty-one. I could've been overthinking it, but it seemed like the look in their eyes went past curiosity.

I ignored the stares and continued into the school. To my luck a woman was standing near the door almost waiting for my arrival. She was dressed in a dark maroon sweater dress, a belt cinching in the waist. Her silver hair was blowdried into rolling curls. She was no doubt a stylish woman.

"Mr. Taylor?" She smiled widely.

"Yes ma'am." I acknowledged and moved closer to her, lacing my hands together.

"I would've thought you were a student if I didn't know everyone here!" She chirped. "Let's get you all set up."

My new classroom was on the third floor, room 311. It was large and had windows covering two of the walls. My desk was set in the corner of the room next to a whiteboard.

"We tried to clear everything out for you but we left a copy of the lesson plan so you know what the kids were learning."

I nodded my head, the movement quickly coming to a stop when a thought popped into my head.

"Speaking of, what happened to Mr. Stuart? Did he resign?" I hesitated.

The smile on Ms. Edith's face fell, a serious one replacing it. She opened her mouth to respond but quickly closed it. When she finally answered my stomach twisted in knots.

"He got in an accident and soon after passed away." Her face was blank but the look in her eyes was one of dread.

"Oh." My eyes blinked rapidly in surprise.

"The kids have had a sub since early this month. They were happy to hear that someone took the job." She smoothed her dress out with her hands.

I nodded, not knowing what to say.

"I'll leave you to get ready." She smiled. "Find me or call me if you need anything, okay? My numbers in the emergency call list."

"Thank you so much, you've been a great help already." I offered my thanks, and watched as the woman exited the room.