Chapter I: Willow's Creek

-

-

oct. 18

-

Willow's Creek was said to be a beautiful water side town, with kind people and beautiful scenery. The town was about four hours away from Seattle and the weather was reminiscent to the large city. It was quiet. Though, the quiet wasn't settling, it actually rose my nerves. Ever since I was little I had lived in big cities. The constant noise and constant movement was comforting to me, it helped me disappear. Now I could do nothing of the sort.

"I've got this." I whispered to myself quietly, my hands tapping aimlessly to my music.

I could feel watchful eyes on me as I pulled into town square. Small shops lined the streets and groups of people littered the area. Not many, but enough to make the town feel far from empty.

I kept going through the streets, coming to the end of the area. The rest of my route looked like it would be nothing but forest. The trees here were different, the evergreen were a deep emerald towering over the beaten streets. The other trees had leaves ranging in color, reds, oranges, and yellows. It wasn't raining today like I had expected it to, instead there was a thick layer of fog covering the sky and road.

I had been warned online about the weather, the small amount of sunny days had ended. Now a cool rainy fall laid ahead of me. It was already mid-October. I would've waited until the following year to get my first teaching position but the job was too good to miss.

After my yearly breakdown I finally decided to leave, I needed to. I loved New York and I loved my mothers but there was always an itch to find something. What, I'm not sure, but I can't shake the feeling I'm missing a part of myself I don't even know how to find.

I drove for another fifteen minutes until I could see a mossy green craftsman home come into view. Thankfully, it looked like the pictures. The house had a small cobblestone path leading to a large porch. I lead my car up the driveway, and parked inside the small detached garage.

This is where I'd be for the next year and beyond.

-

It took far too much time to get all of my boxes into their respective rooms. By the time I was done, the sun was setting. Through the fog all that could be seen was pink tinged clouds.

The house was bigger than I was used to. My hole in the wall apartment back home was small but comfortable. Next door to me lived my close friend Lacey. She was an art student at Colombia, where we met. We'd shared many late night dinners and complain about our none existent love lives.

She hugged me tightly before I left, saying for the millionth time to call her the minute I arrived. I would call her.... Eventually. I was too worn out to talk right now.

I walked through the mostly empty house until I reached what was now my bedroom. It was pretty, with two large windows facing the backyard. They had sheer white curtains that blew softly with the wind. The only thing in the room was a plain mattress and a few blankets. For now, that would have to do.