Chapter XIV: Mates

Dec

Dec. 17th

-

Aries had turned back, a process I turned away from and let him get dressed. We were now sitting on my bed facing each other put my eyes were set on my lap. I had a lot to think about but more than anything I had a lot of questions. 

"Who in this town is.. like you?" I asked the question tentatively.

I always knew there was something going on, but due to my mind being less than reliable I couldn't prove it or fully believe it. So many times I had caught onto people changing conversations to avoid question, the looks people would exchange in my presence, the secrecy. But never had I pictured it would be like this.

 "Everyone except you and Ms. Edith. But Ms. Edith isn't human, to be honest I don't know what she is." Aries took a moment to gather his thoughts before speaking again. "As werewolves we can sense the presence of people in a way. And Ms. Edith's is strong but comforting if that makes sense."

Looking up I found him staring at me intently, he was waiting for me to meet his eyes. I waited for him to speak, he looked like he wanted to say more.

"Your presence has changed, a lot." Aries spoke cautiously as he seemed to look at the air around me.

"What do you mean?" I was surprised at his words.

"Your presence is strong but in an invasive way, or so I've heard." Aries laughed softly, he seemed to notice my look of worry as I itched to move away from him. He looked to notice what i was doing, quickly speaking. "To me, its a little different but definitely not.."

"Not what?" I prodded, staring at him questioningly. I didn't feel the same either since waking up. It felt like there was something buzzing under my skin, something alive. Part of me but not. And it was frustrating to understand. People didn't heal deep wounds within a week. 

"Not human." Aries watched my reaction closely, his head tilting to the side.

I could only nod as his words sunk in, but I couldn't even begin to figure out what had happened to me. I shook of his words and asked another question.

"What or who was it that attacked me, someone like you?" I spoke blankly, my lips pressed together in a slight grimace.

Aries' expression morphed quickly and he looked offended by my words. "It was a werewolf, yes."

"What happened to them?" I spoke, my voice seeming to get quiet against my will.

Aries' eyes moved a bit down to my hands, no longer looking at my face.

"I killed him" Aries told me, his facial expression and his body language looked detached. Like he made himself numb to the fact. 

Silence filled the room as the only thing I could feel was shock. I didn't know what to say. The words seemed to finally make it click just how intensely he felt for me. He killed someone for me? Would I kill for him?