Chapter IV: Halloween

oct

oct. 31

-

It was quickly brought to my attention that every halloween the school took the kids to the halloween festival in town square. Today I would be playing chaperone. I was dressed in a simple black outfit with a witches hat. 

Yeah I know. 

Really screams effort, doesn't it?

Sierra was dressed as a witch as well but her costume was much better than mine. Her long hair was braided in a fishtail braid. Her costume consisted of a long black dress with long sleeves, a large burgundy hat, a thick shawl, and a pair of heeled boots.

She stood next to me as we were placed in a line of teachers.

The students looked much more excited than they usually did, understandably. Hell, I could relate. Kids from the lower grades were dressed in various costumes while the upperclassmen dressed how they usually did. I guess they were too cool to dress up.

"Okay kids, have fun! But as always, freshman and sophomores remember to stay within eyesight of your assigned chaperone." Ms. Edith clapped her hands together, looking at the group of 200 kids or so. A few kids nodded their head in understanding. "Chaperones you have a roll sheet with all the students in your group. The kids should already know, so they'll come to you."

I wrapped my arms around myself, trying to conserve body heat. 

"If you get cold I have some extra blankets in my car." Sierra offered while reading quickly over her roll sheet.

"You are a goddess, but I think I'll be fine for the next few hours." I smiled gratefully at her, and began to skim over my own.

Most of the students on my list were ones I had met and a few I had in my class. But of course something had to go wrong, at the bottom of the list was a name I hoped I wouldn't see. 

Aries Underwood.

I sighed under my breath, my eyebrows scrunching together. I looked up from the paper quickly finding each kid in my group in the crowd of students. When I finally made it to Aries my heart sped up when I found he was already staring at me.

Our eye contact was quickly interrupted as a body slid into my line of vision. 

"Happy Halloween Mr. Taylor and Ms. East." Ezra Underwood smiled widely, tapping the brim of my witches hat.

"Why didn't you dress up!" Sierra reprimanded the boy.

"My confidence level isn't high enough to risk high school humiliation." He smiled widely, amusement in his eyes. "I'm in your group Ms. East, I'll go get Josiah and Kei."

"That would be much appreciated." She thanked him, her eyes watching the group that was forming in front of her.

"I'll see you later Sierra. I'm gonna go get my group together." I waved goodbye to her and took a deep breath.