Chapter 1- Jemma's POV

It's weird walking around the once busy but small dentist office where I had started working 3 years ago. I may not have been here very long as a hygienist but this was the office of Dr. Pamela Micheals. She'd been my family's dentist since before I was born. She's the one who helped fix my front tooth that I chipped when I crashed my bike at 10 years old. She's the one who always wore my favorite color green when I came in for check ups. She's the one who gave me my first job after graduation and even helped with Maddie on those days when my babysitter canceled. She'd become more than my boss but one of my dear friends and I was going to miss her.

I couldn't hold back my tears as I wrapped my arms around her. "Jemma Elaine Stewart! What's with all the waterworks. I'm retiring not dying for Christ's sake." She said with a laugh while patting me on the back.

"I know but I'm going to miss seeing you everyday. I'm going to miss everyone here." I reply while wiping away the tears and taking a deep breath.

"You're moving to a different state not to the other side of the world. Yes, you won't see us everyday but you're still close enough that you could come back to visit occasionally." she said while grabbing the last box of miscellaneous things from around the office.

"I know but change is scary. I've always had someone with me. This will be the first time that I'm moving to a town where I know nobody." I whine.

"You'll know me Mommy." Maddie chirps from beside me carrying the little potted plant that used to sit on the reception desk but now belongs to her after Pam gave it to her as a goodbye gift.

"I know sweetheart, thank you." I say as I give her curly dark brown hair a pat.

"Honey, you'll be just fine. Think of it as a fresh start. Because you know no one, there are no expectations to live up to. You can reinvent yourself if you want. I would suggest you dye your hair but people pay big money for that strawberry blonde color that you're naturally blessed with." She winked at me as I held open the back door to her car so she could set the box down. "When are the movers showing up at your place?"

"They're due there in a couple hours, then we're heading out." I tell her and shut the door.

"Be careful. There's supposed to be a big storm coming." she cautioned me.

"I know, I've been watching the weather but there's a chance that it will shift and miss my route altogether. If not, I'll just stop at a motel until it blows over, not a big deal." I reassure her.

"Alright just give me a call when you get to your new place and tell Dr. Sheffield to call me sometime." She gives me one last hug then hops into her car and drives away.

I load Maddie into her carseat that's right behind my seat. I already have our duffle bags loaded with a week's worth of clothes for the both of us and all the necessary toiletries. I have the box of antique jewelry boxes that my grandmother had left to me loaded as well. I didn't trust the moving company to get those there in one piece. Then there was the box of all my important files and personal information. And of course Maddie's favorite stuffies, all 25 of them. With all that stuff you would think my car was packed to the gills but we actually had quite a bit of space left.