Chapter 28 - Nick's POV

It's the middle of the night. Jemma has been gone for over 24 hours and it feels like I haven't held her in years. Kol is pissed that we didn't immediately run after her as soon as we found out she was gone. We want our mate back, we want our daughter back. We want our family back and the sooner we deal with Layla the sooner we can move on from this.

That's why I'm in the middle of the forest with a dozen other wolves carefully scoping out this cabin. We've already found numerous trip wires and traps the closer we get to the cabin so we are being very cautious. We disarm what we can and link the location of ones we can't. We don't want to leave any trace that we've been here in case Layla isn't at home. IF she is we'll take her tonight, if she isn't, then we'll lay a trap for her either way this ends soon.

As the sliver of moon is reaching its apex we see a structure in the distance. When I hear the word cabin I have a certain image in my mind. Log siding, a covered porch, multiple windows to enjoy the surrounding scenery. What I see nestled in a clearing in the trees was more like a one room shack. There was a chimney coming out of the roof, that's covered in snow, wisps of smoke rising into the night sky. The single window is dark. We creep closer to the shack, I refuse to call it a cabin anymore, listening carefully for any signs of life and watching for more traps.

All clear on the East side, trees for cover but nothing else. One of the warriors links to the group

West side is clear, some low bushes to provide cover I hear another voice come through.

South side all clear, looks like recent activity near the back door where there's a pile of chopped wood that could provide cover. I hear Nate's voice.

I respond to everyone North side has a door that also shows recent activity but nothing other than trees and a single large boulder to provide cover.

I begin to move out of the tree line when I feel a hand on my arm. I look over to the warrior that's by my side I link just him What is it Trevor?

She'll recognize your scent if you get too close. Let me go up and check, please?

I give a nod of approval and he matches his steps to her tracks making sure not to leave any evidence in his wake. Layla was one of our best warriors, skilled in tracking, fighting, and intel gathering. I knew we would eventually win but what would be the final cost? I watch with bated breath as Trevor makes it up to the door, he leans in and we all hold our breath. He places something on the top of the door jam and then carefully turns around. As he makes his way back towards me he pauses by a tree that is right next to the trail and touches the trunk then he finishes walking towards me and finally ducks behind cover.

He links the entire group She's not here but she was earlier. I placed a small indicator on the door so Gamma Brandon will be notified when the door is opened, I also placed a small camera pointed at the door that also has a direct feed back to Gamma Brandon.

I link the group West team you stay and continue on site surveillance everyone else regroup back at the pack-house. Remember she was one of the best we had so leave no trace that we were ever here.