Chapter 9 - Nick's POV

(The day before)

I woke up from my second nap this afternoon with every intention of beating Clay to Jemma's room so that I could escort her to dinner. Over the years I have come to trust the dreams that Nate and I share. They have always pointed us in the right direction and if we had a shared dream about Jemma then I need to put my concerns aside and trust that the Moon Goddess knew what she was doing pairing us with a weak, fragile, little human.

I went into my bathroom and quickly washed my face and ran my fingers through my hair. That's all it took for me to be ready. I walked back into my room just as I got a link from Mitch that dinner was being placed on the table.

SHIT! I had planned to get to Jemma before Clay but I can guarantee that they are already in the dining hall. I raced down the stairs in a blur and slowed my pace right before I entered the hall I didn't want it to appear that I was rushing to get here even though that's exactly what I had just done. I glance over and sure enough Jemma is seated next to Clay and they were chatting it up as if they were the only people in the room. Just as I was taking my seat I heard Jemma's voice cut through all the din like I was tuned in to hear her no matter what other noise was around. She said "...you would have seen me in a very unflattering and compromising position" before I knew what I was doing the growl broke free through my clenched teeth. I quickly looked away, I didn't want her to see me.

"You seem... on edge still. Did the nap you took earlier not help?" Mitch asked me while trying to hide his smirk exchanging sneaky glances with Selene.

"I'm just dandy" I said in the tone that said for him to drop it.

"Well if it would help, you could switch places with someone else so you have a change of... scenery?" he is now smirking openly at me, the little shit.

"The...scenery is just fine" I say glancing out of the corner of my eye at my mate. Yes, she is my mate even if she is a bit of a disappointment.

I catch Clay's attention and send him a glare. He may not know what he has done to irritate me but he soon will. My wolf really doesn't like him talking to our mate. I'm determined that from now on she'll sit by my side at all meals. I'll be the one to fill herplate. I'll be the one to take care of her as I'm supposed to.

Mitch starts the dinner like he always does, like our Dad did. Like how Nate and I take turns doing, minus the filling of our Luna's plate which we will start doing as soon as we get Jemma back to our pack. My wolf is purring at the idea of having Jemma sit between Nate and I at every meal.

I heard her voice again talking about duffle bags and stuffed animals. When Clay said that he and some friends would get those things for her it pissed Kol off. If anyone was going to get things that Jemma needs it will be either Nate or myself and no one else. Not Clay and certainly not his man-whore friends. They are not touching any of her things. I feel Kol starting to release my alpha aura and I can't seem to stop him.

What the fuck are you doing?  Mitch's voice breaks into my mind.

I don't like him talking to her. I link back. I knew I would have to let Mitch know Jemma was our mate but this isn't how I wanted that conversation to go.