Chapter 14 - Nate's POV

My emotions are all over the place and just when I think I am beginning to get a handle on them they spin out of control again. I let my wolf Rune take over not only are we faster this way but it gives me a chance to just think. He is completely ignoring the fact that we are running through a blizzard and is all out sprinting to get to our mate as quickly as possible. Trevor and Scott had let their wolves take over a while ago just to keep up.

I sat back in the corner of my mind trying to make sense of it all. I was euphoric that our mate had been found. I was devastated that she was hurt. I was envious of Nick and the time he was able to spend with her. I was angry that they hadn't waited for me to get there to talk to her. I was terrified that she was hurt again. I was anxious to finally meet her.

I could feel Nick's emotions to a small degree and I know he was feeling lost and helpless in this situation, something that I'd been feeling since I found out about Jemma. I also felt the love he was starting to develop for her, I don't know if he even realizes that's what he's feeling.

The trip should have taken at least 3 days at a moderate pace but Rune was hell bent on getting there in record time. I didn't register the wind or the cold, I didn't feel the snow crunching under our paws or even perceive the darkness that surrounded us. All I knew was I had a driving need to get to her.

After Nick's link telling us that Jemma had lost consciousness again and was being seen by the doctor Rune had sped up even more. His pace was grueling and unforgiving.

Alpha, we need to slow and rest or we'll never make it. Trevor's voice broke into my mind. I listened carefully and could hear the labored breathing of my warriors.

Rune, we need to let them rest.

NO! They can catch up to us at the pack house.

No, we need to rest for a moment.

What we need is our Mate! Nothing is more important than her!

What good are we to her if we are so weak from over exertion that we can't even hold her?

He didn't answer but he did slow his pace before handing control back to me.

We'll rest in the cave up ahead.

I heard the grateful huff of my warriors as we made our way there. We had crossed back onto our pack lands a while ago and I knew if we veered off to the left we would be at our pack house within the hour. As much as a warm bed is tempting I didn't want to answer a bunch of questions about why we are back so soon so I decided to go to the cave that's above the stream that runs through all of our territories. By the time we had reached the entrance it was well past midnight and into the wee hours of the morning. The storm was still raging and we were all grateful for the reprieve from the snow and wind when we stepped inside.

Trevor shifted and said "Stay in your wolf forms, I will open the bags and pull out the food then shift back. That way only one of us gets cold." He shivered as he grabbed my bag, opened it and pulled out the food that we had packed placing it before my muzzle before doing the same for Scott and himself. After he laid down a tarp and the blankets he shifted back and we all curled up in a pile to conserve body heat.