Chapter 9

"You two alright up there?" Wrecker bellowed.

"Yeah!" Cal whooped.

Wrecker was balancing him and Caleb in his shoulders whilst Omega clung to his back like a baby monkey with its mother. Crosshair had remarked that Wrecker couldn't carry all three of them back to the ship and Wrecker gladly accepted the challenge. Omega didn't have much grip as Wrecker was so large and after a couple of minutes of her continuously slipping Hunter transferred her onto his shoulders.

"Hey! Whaddaya doing Hunter?" Wrecker complained.

"She would've fallen off if she'd stayed on," Hunter pointed out.

Groaning loudly, Wrecker stomped off towards the Marauder, still holding the boys. Peering backwards, Cal smiled at Omega, who was slightly lower than him. Looking past her, he saw Tech and Echo talking whilst Crosshair ambled behind them, his eyes fixed on the sky above. His wandering gaze briefly met Cal's. Crosshair quickly looked away, as if he would accidentally hurt Cal by merely glancing at him. Pity for the grey-haired clone crept into his stomach. Joining the Empire hadn't been his choice. He was lucky the Bad Batch had accepted him. So was Cal. Crosshair snagged his attention as he quickened his pace until he was next to Wrecker.

Taking his toothpick out, he muttered, "You owe me five credits."

"Yeah, yeah, I know!" Wrecker grumbled. "I'll pay you later."

~

The knot of worry in Hunter's stomach untangled itself when they all arrived safely back at the Marauder. He'd kept a watchful eye out for Scrappers or any of Bracca's creatures desperate for a substantial meal. Remembering how their previous visit to the planet had concluded, Hunter strained his senses, surveying the area for any threats. Relieved that he found none, but still cautious, Hunter lifted Omega off his shoulders and returned her to solid ground, keeping a firm grip on her hand. She didn't protest and instead placed her other hand on his, her two smaller ones bracketing his larger hand. Gazing up at him, Omega gave him a smile that erased all of his worries.

Rex's ship was already gone, him and Gregor having taken Wolffe somewhere he could recover from the shock of killing his general. Hunter had never been particularly close with any Jedi, but if he ever hurt or killed one of his brothers, one of the boys or Omega, Hunter knew he would never forgive himself.

Annoyance sparked inside him when Boba came over. He knelt down to Omega's eye level and removed his helmet.

"You father will be pleased to know that I'm not going with you," Boba announced. "Bossk just contacted me and he's coming to pick me up. I've given him a set of coordinates to meet me at."

With a little whimper, Omega dropped Hunter's hand and launched herself at her brother.

"Do you have to go? I just found you again." she whispered, her voice wobbling ever so slightly.

"It's for the best. Besides, you could always come with me," Boba suggested.

"No!" Hunter argued.

Sniffing noisily, Omega withdrew from the embrace. "It's a nice offer Bo, but I belong here."

Grinning sadly, Boba ruffled her hair and stood to his full height. "Yeah, the life of a bounty hunter is much more dangerous than being a mercenary on the run from the Empire."

"Very funny!" Omega cried, wrapping her arms tightly around his waist. "Promise me you'll stay in contact."

"I promise Meg," Boba's gaze drifted upwards and locked onto Hunter's. "I don't think I need to remind you to take care of her and those two boys."