Chapter 10

"So, what's our plan for breaking Ezra out?" Cal asked.

The group were gathered around a hologram that showed the schematics of the facility. Unfortunately, there were only a handful of entrances, and they would all be well guarded with a Force-sensitive baby inside.

"What if we did the plan when we rescued Hera's parents?" Omega suggested. All seven pairs of eyes stared at her.

"Who's Hera?" Caleb enquired.

"My Twi'lek friend from Ryloth," Omega replied. "If Dad and the others cause a distraction, maybe at the main doors, then troopers will be sent from inside the facility to deal with it. Whilst they're occupied with them, Cal, Caleb and I can sneak in through the air vents, find Ezra and escape back the way we came."

"Omega, it's a good strategy, but you three are not going in there," Hunter declared firmly.

"Do you have a better idea?"

Everyone's gazes turned to Crosshair, who was sitting on one of the chairs in the cockpit, grinding a toothpick in his mouth.

"It's less likely they'll kill the kids then us. Besides, we don't know what the Empire is doing to Ezra, but I doubt he's happy," Crosshair pointed out. "We need to get him out now and Omega's plan seems good."

A broad smile spread across Omega's face. She turned back to the hologram and looked at Hunter expectedly.

He caught her eye and sighed deeply. "Alright, we'll do your strategy 'Mega."

~

"As soon as the troopers are gone, you three get inside and find Ezra," Hunter instructed. They were gathered just beyond the perimeter of the facility, hidden amongst the planet's vibrant and unique plants.

"He's the baby with blue hair." Crosshair informed them.

"Stick together, don't take any unnecessary risks, be as stealthy as possible, don't leave anyone behind, make sure-"

"Dad! We'll be alright," Omega reassured him.

Hunter sported a small smile. "I know Megs."

Replicating his grin, Omega rapidly embraced her father.

"Be careful, promise me,"

"I promise," Omega vowed.

Beaming, Hunter slowly let her go and approached Caleb and Cal. "Good luck boys."

Without warning, Cal threw himself at Hunter and hugged him, the sergeant slightly shocked by his actions, but not repulsed. After a moment's hesitation, Caleb copied him. Chuckling softly, Hunter wrapped his arms around the two boys, ignoring the collective "Awww!" behind him.

"Take care of each other," Hunter murmured.

"We will," Caleb promised.

Silently praying to the Force that none of his children would get hurt, Hunter reluctantly withdrew from the embrace. After a high-five each from Wrecker and a salute from Echo, the three kids stealthily moved around to the left side of the facility, prepared to grab their weapons should anything go wrong. To their relief, they reached the vent without being spotted, waiting impatiently for the signal.

It came sooner than they expected; a massive explosion in the distance (accompanied by the faint sound of Wrecker laughing joyously) that shook the ground like an earthquake and sent the local wildlife into a panic. Sure enough, the troopers by the door alerted others to the situation but remained where they were.

"Caleb, now!" Omega hissed.

Grinning at the chaos that would soon ensue, Caleb used the Force to remove the grate that blocked the vent and jumped inside. Cal gave Omega a boost up and Caleb pulled her inside. Finally, Cal followed them and quickly replaced the grate as to not arouse suspicion.

"It's so dark in here!" Omega complained.

"Shh! If we speak too loudly, our voices will be heard below. Don't talk above a whisper," Cal instructed.

"Sorry," Omega apologised, her voice significantly quieter. She retrieved her torch that Echo had lent them and handed it to Caleb.

"Thanks."

Turning it on, Caleb saw that the vent split ahead of them in a crossroads.

"Which way do we go?" Cal asked.

"Left," Caleb replied instantly.

"How do you know that?" Omega enquired.

"I-I don't know. The Force maybe?" Caleb shrugged.

"I can't feel anything," Cal put in.

"Maybe it's because I'm further ahead. Let's keep going, we're wasting time discussing it," Caleb crawled forward.

Deciding not to question it, Omega and Cal followed close behind.

~

As it turns out, they didn't need Caleb's impeccable sense of direction for very long. Soon enough, they could hear a baby's cried echoing through the vent. It guided them through the labyrinth of tunnels. Caleb suddenly stopped in front of a grate on the side of the vent.

"There he is." Caleb breathed, moving over so the others could see too.

A tiny infant lay squirming on an operation table, wearing an orange playsuit, his little fists and legs flailing around. Tufts of deep blue hair covered the top of his head. His shrieks were unbearably loud and his eyes leaked fresh tears.

"This kid has strong lungs!" Cal complained, sticking his fingers in his ears.

Omega snorted with laughter. "You should've heard Wrecker when he threw a tantrum!"

"Guys, focus!" Caleb ordered, removing the grate and dropping down into the room. It was very small, roughly the size of a cell. A table on the left was covered in papers and a tray that held terrifying instruments. Seeing them so close to Ezra made Caleb shudder.

With a grunt, Omega landed beside him and rushed over to the screaming baby. With extreme care and clear practice, she picked him up, resting his head on the crook of her arm. Ezra immediately calmed down, reassured by Omega's warm presence. Sighing in relief, Omega walked back underneath the vent and Cal quickly and carefully lifted them inside using the Force. Caleb followed suit, jumping after her.

"Well, that was significantly easier than I thought it would be!" Caleb declared.

Just as he spoke, the cell door opened and a scientist dressed in white entered the room, so fixated on her datapad she didn't notice the missing baby or the three children in the vent until she looked up. Her eyes widened as she saw the four figures huddled in the small space.

"Intruders! Intruders in the vents!" she bellowed. "They have the baby!"

"Okay, time to go!" Cal ordered, hurriedly placing the grate. "Thanks for jinxing the mission Caleb!"

"Shut up, how was I supposed to know that would happen?"

"You can yell at each other when we're safe! Come on!" Omega ordered.

Still holding Ezra in one hand, Omega crawled along the vent, Caleb on her heels and Cal bringing up the rear, their fear mingling together, the faint shouts of troopers terrifying them.

*Author Note*

Hey guys! Sorry this chapter took so long. I hope you liked it. A few of you commented what colour lightsaber you think Omega would have and I think I'll either give her a purple or green lightsaber, or maybe both. I haven't quite figured out how Omega would get a kyber crystal yet; maybe she could do the Gathering on that icy planet? Next chapter is going to be from Baby Ezra's perspective, so I'm looking forward to writing it! May the Force be with you!