Chapter 73 - A Bit of Life-saving Advice

_____________________________________________________________________________

"I didn't do it! Oh, wait — yes, I did do that."

_____________________________________________________________________________

The last week of the term grew increasingly boisterous as it progressed. Rumours about the Yule Ball were darting everywhere, though Betelgeuse did not believe half of them — for instance, that Dumbledore had ordered eight hundred barrels of mulled mead from Madam Rosmerta.

It was too good to be true, but a wizard could dream, as George had declared, sighing.

It appeared to be fact, however, that he had booked the Weird Sisters. Betelgeuse could grant the wizard rock band gripping rhymes and danceable music, but she did not share the wild excitement of those who had grown up listening to the WWN (Wizarding Wireless Network) and its rock and pop music.

Some of the teachers, like Professor Flitwick, gave up trying to teach them much when their minds were so clearly elsewhere. He allowed the twins to play games in his lesson on Wednesday and spent most of it chatting about the perfect Summoning Charm Harry Potter had used during the first task of the Triwizard Tournament.

Other teachers were not so generous. Nothing would ever deflect Professor Binns, for example, from ploughing on through his notes on goblin rebellions. It was amazing how he could make even bloody and vicious goblin riots sound as boring as Percy's cauldron-bottom report. Professors McGonagall and Moody kept them working until the very last second of their classes too, and Snape, of course.

"Evil, he is," Angelina stated bitterly that night in the Gryffindor Common room. "Springing a test on us on the last day. Destroying the last bit of term with a whole load of studying. How am I supposed to find a date for the Yule Ball when I have to worry myself about antidotes?"

"Angelina, you are certainly a decent looking witch. You will be asked," Betelgeuse stated as she unhurriedly flipped the pages of the Daily Prophet.

"Thank you?" Angelina replied as Katie sniggered beside her. "Shut up, Katie! You already have a date. Don't you dare mock me!" The sixth-year hissed.

The Black arched a perfect eyebrow in curiosity. "Did she?"

"Yes!" Angelina grumbled, crossing her arms. "A nice Drumstrang boy!"

"What's that?" Alicia inquired, sniffing the air around her. "Is it jealously that I smell?"

"Leave her alone, Spinnet. Do not poke the beast," Betelgeuse drawled, smirking.

Before Angelina could rebuke, a near explosion caught the attention of the four Gryffindor girls. It was Ron. He had been busy building a card castle out of his Exploding Snap pack with Harry, and as he placed the last two cards on top of the Castle and the whole lot blew up, singeing his eyebrows.

"Nice look, Ron — go well with your dress robes, that will."

It was Fred and George. They sat down at the table with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. Betelgeuse diverted her attention once again, resuming her conversation with Angelina and Katie.