Alive

The silver eyes slowly shifted from side to side, showing that the creature was moving forwards. The creature slowly stepped into the light. A muzzle formed, then the head, then the body, and then the tail. A brown and black wolf stared at Lauren with slight recognition. Benjamin raised his crossbow at it, but Lauren stopped him. "No, it looks very familiar, but I'm sure that I have never seen it before."

    The wolf cocked it's head at Lauren. "There is no way you could have seen me, but you have seen my brother."

    Lauren stared into the silver eyes and saw Mlinzi's eyes staring back at her. "You're..."

    The she-wolf nodded. "I'm Akili, Mlinzi's younger sister."

    "How?" Lauren questioned. "He told me that his family had all been killed."

    Sadness struck Akili's eyes. "Yes, we were all hunted when I was a young pup. Mlinzi had been carrying me, but accidentally dropped me into a rushing river. He thought I was dead, but Maisha saved me. She told me that Mlinzi would soon die, and that I would be a Moonstar's guardian."

    "A Moonstar? I thought there could only be one Moonstar."

    "There can be multiple Moonstars. Yes, the name originated with you, as you are the first Moonstar, but the Moonstar is Eddeatha's guardian, aside from Maisha."

"But I thought that was a title for just me," Lauren said. "I did not know that was a hierarchical name."

    "There can only be one Moonstar at a time. When one dies the Moonstar must choose another."

    "I guess that makes sense." Lauren looked at Kaylissa who was looking longingly at Akili.

    "It's alright, Kay," she said gently. "I can see the connection between you two. If it's okay with Akili, you can hang around her."

    Kaylissa flashed Lauren a grateful look and moved over to stroke Akili's head. Lauren wondered if Mlinzi knew his sister was alive. It would make him very happy.