Goodbye

"Here we are," Lauren said at last. The group had traced for two more days and had finally arrived on Wakemark. They had to take a boat over with the horses swimming along. They were now looking at a small village that was up and about with their daily activities. The sun shone bright over a small house that stood on a large hill that overlooked the village. Benjamin sat on his horse, silently taking in the scene. "I haven't been here in such a long time. That," he said pointing at the house on the hill, "that is the Raydn house where I knew Fallon and Amias."

    "You knew Amias when he was a kid?" Lauren asked.

    "Yes, I was older than him, but I remember how Fallon would help him learn math."

    Lauren looked over at Kaylissa who had tears in her eyes. "It's okay," she told her. "You don't live with them anymore."

    "No it's not," Kaylissa said. "I can't cry over something that happened so long ago. I'm so weak," she whispered.

    "No you are not," Lauren insisted. "Crying shows strength. It shows that you're human. I cry all the time over silly things. Your childhood traumatized you. Humans are not made to carry that kind of burden alone. You have friends here to help you. You don't have to do this alone." Kaylissa nodded.

    Lauren nudged the back of Askari's neck and he trotted forward with her friends following. Benjamin slowly took the lead as he led the group through the town and to the base of the hill. "It's been a very long time since I was here," Benjamin said. "I miss him."

    Lauren looked at Benjamin. "Icas?"

    Benjamin nodded. "I don't know why he did what he did. All I know is that he was my brother when he and the Knights of Evermore left for Nitra, and when he returned, he was transformed into some sort of monster."

    "I wish there was some way you could ask him," Kaylissa added quietly.

    "You guys need to get going," Benjamin said.

    "You're staying?" Kaylissa asked. Benjamin nodded.

    "I'll miss you," Lauren said. "Till' we meet again."

    Benjamin smiled at her for the last time. "Till we meet again," he repeated, then he urged his horse into a trot and rode into the town and disappeared.