The Rescue

The cloaked figure moved silently and swiftly down the corridor. He had to wait until nightfall to make his move. He couldn't let Hadaji find out. After several more turns, the figure stopped in front of Lauren's cell. She should be asleep by now. The figure thought. He pulled a single key from his pocket and inserted it into the lock. A click resonated through the hall. The figure turned his head to see if anyone had heard the noise. He then pushed the door open which had made more noise than the key.

    The figure entered the room and grabbed a torch that hung on the wall and grabbed a different key from his cloak and knelt down beside the beaten and broken Moonstar.

__________________________

    Lauren's eyes snapped open at the sound of rattling. She saw the outline of a man hovering over her. Fearing that it was the baker, sat up quickly and moved backwards until her back pressed against the wall.

    "Easy, it's okay," an accented voice said and for the second time that day, Lauren thought that she recognized him by his voice. "Do I know you?" Lauren asked.

The figure did not answer. "We need to leave." Lauren looked down to see that the figure had removed all of her chains and she was now free. "Your friends are waiting for you."

Lauren looked back up at him. "They're here?"

The figure nodded and helped Lauren up. She grunted as she put weight on her left leg. "They broke your leg? I should've known that they did not trust me to not help you escape." he sighed. "We need to go. You can rest once you get to your friends, but I'm afraid you will have to run now, even on your leg.

When Lauren and the figure were out of the cell, they picked up their pace. Lauren's leg was screaming in pain, but Lauren pushed on. She had to get out of there. The figure ran a few steps ahead, pointing out which direction to go. They came upon a guard, but the figure unsheathed his sword and quickly killed him.

Lauren was slowing and was now verbally crying out in pain when they reached the exit. The figure used yet another key to open the door. Where does he get all these keys? Lauren would have to ask him later.

_________________________________

They reached the woods soon enough and there were people waiting for them. Kaylissa stood with Askari and Akili. Lauren was shocked to see William there also. "What are you doing here?" Lauren asked as she collapsed on the ground. William immediately rushed to help her sit against a tree.

"What happened?" he asked, concerned at the sight of all the cuts and bruises on her face.

"They tortured her," the figure said. "Be careful with her leg."

"I said, what are you doing here?" Lauren asked again.

William sighed. "I have very bad news. I assume you know about the Order of the Shadow?" Lauren nodded. "Well they attacked Cardell Castle when the Knights were not there and... they kidnapped Odi."

Lauren's jaw dropped. "They said they were going to kill him!"

William nodded. "It seems that they plan on ransoming him or something first. It happened yesterday and since then the Knights of Evermore have taken over as king."

"But how did you get here so fast?" Lauren asked. "It takes a week to get from Cardell to Alavista and that's on a horse!"

"I had a little help," William admitted. From the shadows stepped a very familiar stag.