Chapter 6

Sammy.

When I saw Ruby come down the escalator staring off into space my breathing hitched in my throat. It was like I was 19 again and seeing her face for the first time, but this was unreal she was actually here.

"Still trying to work out if I've lost my mind." Ruby said as we walked out to my pick up parked out the front.

"Well sweetheart looking at the facts it might be on its way out." I said smirking at her.

"Real funny jerk." She laughed shoving me gentle as I opened the truck door for her.

Ruby just looked at me and smiled as she climbed into the truck. Her eyes were fixed on Sydney as we drove through down to Bondi. It was early and not many people were out so there was literally no traffic.

"One stop before we drop your stuff off." I smiled pushing my blonde hair out of my face and put my sunglasses on.

Ruby didn't say anything but she looked at me with a half smile as if she was trying to work out what I was thinking. A look I'd seen so many times over the years through skype.

I was glad that she had no clue where anything was around here as I pulled the truck down Campbell Parade and parked outside Saltys.

"Where are we?" She asked me looking around with that same half smile.

"Do you trust me Rubes?" I answered her question with another question.

To my surprise she tipped her head back onto the rest an let out a that beautiful laugh.
"Sammy I just flew half way around the world to see you, bit late to ask if I trust you."

"Fair point." I laughed back.
"Okay trust me and close your eyes."

She hesitated for a second but then shut her eyes. I climbed out of the tuck and jogged round to her side to help her out.

"Okay just a few steps." I said holding her hands as I guided her towards the beach.

"Can I look yet?" She said with a small giggle making me smile at her.

"Okay open." I said back to her as we stood at the south end of the beach looking out to backpackers.

Rubys eyes shimmered with wonder as the early morning waves crashed against the rocks with the early morning rays sparking on the foamy water below. The beach was empty aside from the local surfers that come out before the crowds hit.

"Welcome to Bondi beach sweetheart." I said proudly looking down at the beach.

"God it's beautiful." Her voice sounded whimsical and slightly far off as she watched the surfers catch a good 6ft wave.

She wasn't wrong the beach at this time of the day had always been my favourite, the calm before the storm of people rolled in, as a lifeguard of this beach it was obvious that I loved it. But seeing Ruby look at it with that same love was amazing. I was lost in looking at her, my best friend finally stood here with me. I'd wished for this more times than I could count and it finally came true.

Drawing my attention across towards the middle of the beach where the lifeguard tower stands I saw Danny and Jesse come out on the buggy driving the length of the beach towards us. I wasn't sure if they'd seen me stood here until Jesse turned the buggy towards us.

"Mate it's your day off, meaning you don't have to be here at the arsecrack of dawn." He laughed hopping off the buggy while Danny lent forward on the small dashboard.

"What you doing down here?" Danny said looking at me from behind his dark raybans.

I looked over to Ruby who was practically oblivious to the 2 lifeguards on the beach, I just smiled at her as she was staring out at the water looking lost in thought.

"Rubes?" I said with a smile tapping her on the shoulder jolting her back into reality.

"Huh?" She sounded confused as she smiled at me.

I laughed softly and shook my head.
"Danny, Jess this is Ruby. Ruby thing one and thing two down there are 2 of Bondis finest lifeguards." I said introithe twins to Ruby, it wasn't a lie they were unstoppable together I'd never seen two people so in tune with one and other.
Twin telepathy as the continuously said.

"Oh hi, it's nice to meet you." She sounded shy, reminding me that she doesn't do to well with new people. Instinctively I reached down and gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. She glanced down at our intertwined hands and smiled.

"Shit she's real." Jesse said looking at Ruby. Reminding me that the guys and Sofia thought I'd made Ruby up just for the fact they'd never met her.

"Nice to meet you Ruby." Danny said taking off his dark glasses and smiled warmly at her, I felt her relax as she smiled back.

As similar as the twins are Jesse was far more hyperactive and Danny was the epitome of calm.

"Alright guys i gotta get Rubys stuff to mine. We'll probably be back later." I said still holding rubys hand.

"Alright mate see ya guys." Their voices blurring into one as they took the buggy back down the beach to put up the flags.

"They seem.. interesting." Ruby laughed as the brothers drove back to the beach singing very loud and very out of tune.

I laughed at my two friends and shook my head.
"They're something trust me. Come on you,  promise we'll come back later."

Ruby took one more look at the water as a surfer who I could see from up here was head lifeguard Roodie's my boss, get wiped out by a massive swell. Where I laughed a little Ruby cringed.

"He's fine Sweetheart, Roodie's is one of the best look." I pointed out to him surfacing to flip off the rest of the on duty guards who where stood outside the tower laughing.

Although Ruby smiled seeing he was okay, I couldn't help but wonder why she was that affected by it.

Throwing my arm around her shoulder I pulled her back to the car and started the short drive to my house, I only love a 5 minute drive from the beach over in Tamarama. Once we got to my mine Ruby seemed to be totally spaced out, she really is no different in person.

"Hey space cadet still with me?" I said nudging her as I parked the truck outside.

"Yeah just so much going through my head right now, just tryna process it all, you know?" She asked running her hand through her long hair.

I did, with my job it sometimes feels like I'm the one under the water instead of the one doing the saving. Taking ruby's hand I gave it a squeeze and kissed the back of it making her smile at me.

"I do, wanna know what I do when I feel like that?" I asked her.

Ruby shook her head turning in her seat to face me.

"I get out in the water, maybe it'll work for you to."  She stilled as I said that and an unreadable look went over her eyes but vanished in seconds to be replaced with a smile.

"Maybe it will." She said squeezing my hand.

I waited two and a half years to meet this girl, and it was definitely worth it.