Chapter 6: Meet 'n Greet

"Meet your team, Kat." Director Fury showed Kat into a room with six other teenagers. The room was huge, with three computers against a far wall, which wasn't really a wall. It was massive floor to ceiling windows. Two walls were windows. the far one and the wall to the left of that. It made for a beautiful sight... Of a ship. They were on a boat. Kat only then realized where she was. She was on a massive boat.

There were also a few tables in the middle, and what looked like a mini-gym to the right. It had weights, punching bags, even a small arena for duels. 

The other kids stopped what they were doing, whether it was talking, playing cards or doing something on a computer. "Team, meet your new member, Kat. I'll let you introduce yourselves."

He left the room and the five other teens stared at Kat. A tall, skinny girl made her way from a computer over to Kat and held her hand out. "Hi. I'm Nova. Nice to meet you." She had pretty blue-brown hazel eyes and long, dark blonde hair. Her extended arm was long, thin and fair, her fingers long and nimble, but covered in caluses like she worked a lot with her hands. She wore the standard SHIELD uniform but instead of a gun holster, she had two knife holders, one on each side of her thighs. 

Kat grasped Nova's hand and shook it. "Likewise. I'm Kat."

The girl that Nova had left at a cards table hopped off and walked over as well. She was a stark contrast to Nova with her jet black hair and silver eyes. She had skin so pale it was almost white. Instead of the thin, almost frail frame that Nova had, this girl was lithe and muscular, thin, but sturdy. Kat almost expected her to open her mouth and reveal long fangs, like a vampire. "And I'm Freya. I guess we should all introduce ourselves, huh?" 

"Yeah... I guess so." Freya shook Kat's hand once before sitting back down and evaluating her hand of cards. As she sat down, Kat noticed the knife and gun strapped to her thighs, like Nova's knives. "Such a warm welcome," Kat snorted. 

"Don't mind her. She's always like that." Nova gave Kat a friendly smile before inviting her to sit with them at the table. "So, who's turn was it?"

Kat watched them as they played a card game she didn't recognize. Their hands were lightning fast, almost a blur as they put the cards down. "What game is this?" Kat finally asked. 

"Uno," a new voice said. Kat looked to her left to find a boy sitting there. His bright blue eyes caught Kat's attention almost immediately. The boy had dark, coffee coloured skin and black hair. He was muscular and had an unsettling aura about him. "Have you never played before?" the boy asked, raising an eyebrow.

Nova took a break from her game, smacking the boy's arm. "Dian! Be nice. Kat's new."

Dian, the boy, snorted and stared at Kat a bit longer. "So. What makes you special?"

"Dian! You don't just ask people why they're special!" Nova chided. 

"I was just wondering!"

Kat smiled. "I have wings, telepathy and teleportation. You?"

"I have x-ray vision, laser vision, and I can levitate." Dian puffed out his chest proudly. "Not many sixteen year-old boys can say that, now can they?"

Laughing, Kat shook her head. "What about you, Nova?"

Without stopping her game, Nova said, "I'm super strong, super fast, can learn more stuff than anyone, and have awesome endurance." She slammed down her last card and threw her hands up in the air. "I win!"

Freya hissed. "Yeah, yeah."

"What about you, Freya?" asked Kat cautiously. "What are your powers?"

Then, in a perfect imitation of Nova, Freya said, "Well, I can make myself sound like anyone I've ever heard, am even faster than Nova here, and have enhanced strength, although not as much as Nova. Plus, I'm an expert in knife throwing."

"Whoa. That's awesome," Kat exclaimed. She looked around the room at the rest of the teens. There were two boys and one girl that hadn't even spared Kat a single glance yet. "What about them?"

Nova collected the cards and started shuffling. "Well, we've got Anahi, or Nani over there." She pointed to a girl with hair as black as night that was done up in a half-crown braid. Kat noticed the aqua blue streak on the side of it. Instead of wearing the SHIELD get-up, she wore black motorcycle boots, ripped skinny jeans, and a black motorcycle jacket covering a blue shirt. Kat could see that she wore a necklace with a silver pendant that she couldn't see clearly and a silver bracelet as well.

"We don't really know a lot about her, but we do know that she comes from a faraway land, and was born with special powers. She doesn't really tell us anything, but it has to do with her parents. Nani can control moonlight and can create anything out of nothing. That's what she's doing right now. See?" 

And Kat did see. She saw Nani wave her hand in the air and a clay sculpture of a dragon appeared.

"Other than that, we don't know anything about he powers." Nova shrugged and dealt the cards out, not only to Freya and herself, but also Kat and Dian. 

"Oh, and she has a strange obsession with dragons," Dian put in, earning himself another smack on the arm from Nova.

Freya pointed to a boy who was sitting in a blue beanbag chair with carrot-coloured orange hair. Even from a distance, Kat could see the splash of dark freckles on his nose, contrasting his fair skin. He was reading a book, his nose buried in it. She couldn't see the rest of him, but she could see that he was wearing the uniform, like everyone else but Nani. "That's Leroy. He's regenerative. Meaning that his cells regenerate so quickly that he can't get hurt. Not long-term, anyway. His wounds just close in seconds."

"Wow. I wonder how that happened..." Kat commented. 

Freya snorted. "Lots and lots of testing from insane scientists. That's what Leroy says, anyway."

Kat shuddered at the thought of insane scientists. "What about him?" she asked, pointing to a boy with dark brown hair and tan skin. 

The boy stood in his SHIELD uniform, his back facing everyone else. He had a lean, strong build, his hands clasping each other behind him, his legs spaced out, like he was guarding something. 

"That's Brendan," Dian said. "We haven't exactly been on a mission yet, and he hasn't told us about any powers or his past, so for now, he's just the most talented combatant and best marksman."

"I'm a good marksman!" whined Nova.

Kat laughed. "I'm sure you are, Nova."

The four began their game of Uno, Kat having the best time she had had in a long, long time. 

*******************************************************************************

Dear readers,

The picture at the top is a picture of Nova. If you make her eyes hazel, then that's a pretty good picture I think. 

-flygirl1

P.S. Dian is pronounced like Dean.