Chapter 30: Deceptions

Kat sat down in her chambers, trying to figure out a way to get out. Katja had locked her in there a while before, giggling about how the plan was finally in motion.

Smacking her hand (the one attached to her good arm) on the door, she shouted. "Can anyone hear me?"

To her surprise, a small man passed by the window. He had a balding head and thick glasses. He looked like he was muttering to himself.

"Let me out!" she screamed.

"I can't do that," he said in a monotonous voice. "It's not according to--"

Kat, getting an idea, rolled her eyes. "You idiot! I'm not Kat! I'm Katja!" she said through gritted teeth, hating the way her real name sounded.

Eyes narrowing, the man said, "That's not possible... Kat couldn't have escaped..."

"Well, she did!" Kat pointed down at the keypad beside the door. "Now open this door! Do you know how much trouble you'll be in otherwise?"  

The man nodded and quickly tapped in a complicated passcode into the keypad and the mechanical door slid open. Without hesitation, Kat elbowed the man in the temple and he crumpled to the ground. "Sorry," she said to his body.

Dragging him into her chamber with her good arm (which is not as easy as it sounds), she set him down beside her bed and closed the door once she was out of the room.

Now all she had to do was find out if her friends had been captured by the real Katja yet. If they were, she would have to act quickly to free them.

_________________________________________________________________

Dian walked stiffly into a brick building, along with Nova, Freya, Nani, and Leroy.

None of them knew why they hadn't seen or heard the Viper agents coming, but they were all battered and beat.

When the man had landed behind Nova, he had tried to knock her out with a rag soaked in sleeping serum. She had ducked and spun around with lightning quick speed. She threw a punch to the man's face, but he only caught it and twisted her arm, making her cry out in pain.

At the same time, Brendan and Freya were up against three other agents, who looked much more muscled than either of them. Freya ran around them in circles, throwing them off and making them dizzy.

When the first one collapsed of spinning eyesight, Brendan shot out a kick and knocked him out cold. The other two tried to fight but ended up punching each other instead of the teens.

"They're only children," one of the Viper agents called out to the others. "They'll be easy to take in."

"That's what you think," Nani said quietly. She concentrated on creating a long sword. In seconds, a shining silver sword was suspended in the air in front of her; a katana. Grabbing hold of its long hilt, Nani held it out in front of her as an agent rushed on her with a pistol.

Dian floated above everyone, shooting laser beams from his eyes to knock the guns and weapons out of the enemy's hands and, when he felt like it, dropped down onto an agent, bringing them to the ground. He would, if they hadn't already passed out, elbow them in the head.

Leroy was the one who was fighting the most. Using his newfound abilities, he shot red hot energy into the faces of the agents, making them writhe in pain, blisters forming on their noses and cheeks on contact. Even though he occasionally got shot, he healed almost immediately, and was able to breath a few seconds after the wound had healed.

The six of them fought their hardest. Whether it was shooting bricks at people from thin air (Nani), or lasers (Dian) at the agents, all of them had something to offer.

Soon, it looked like they were winning, there were only two more agents left, and after a single look from all six teenagers, the two of the Viper agents went running.

A few high fives were exchanged, and the six of them began to follow the agents, who were surely going to the base.

Only, they weren't.

The two agents led them into an ambush, and all five of them were captured almost instantly. Dian yelled as one of the agents bound his hands tightly with rope. Freya and Nova simply glowered at the female agent, while Nani had the biggest reaction. Nani summoned a grenade from the air and held it up, threatening to blow up all of them.

Leroy ripped it from her hands and chucked it into the forest, giving her his best evil-eye."Are you trying to kill us?" he asked.

She sniffed and turned to the agent binding her hands behind her back.

The agents started leading the five of them away, unaware of the invisible boy hiding in the shadows, following behind them.