Chapter 36: Broken

Kat froze. She saw him rub the back of his head and remembered how she had knocked him out.

"You know," he said, "you are a lot more trouble than you should be."

"How much trouble should I be?" she asked, sounding braver than she was. 

Brendan looked from Kat to Anah to Freya to Anah and back to Kat. "Do you guys need to work something out? Because I can just go..." He moved to leave, but Anah swiped Iko's gun off of the ground and pointed it at Brendan. 

"No one leaves," he hissed.

Freya sat up and wiped her nose with her index finger and growled at Anah. "Oh please. Like you could stop us."

Anah laughed. 

"What's so funny?" Brendan shot, and Anah looked at him.

"Oh, just that you all think you've got a chance..." Anah said.

Kat used Brendan's distraction to grab the Monestone from Brendan and held it tightly. She closed her eyes and sent her thoughts into the stone, hoping for a response of any kind. 

Usually, when she used her mind powers on inanimate objects, all she got was blackness. 

However, when she used her powers on the Monestone, an image appeared. It was the missing piece of the stone. 

It was blurry, and she wasn't sure, but Kat thought she remembered where she had seen the sliver of stone. 

Brendan saw the look of understanding on her face, and he realized that he needed to buy her time. "So, Anah," he said calmly. "Where were you born?"

Anah scoffed. "I wasn't born anywhere. I was created here in the lab. It's why I am superior to all of you. Even to her!" He gestured to Kat, who was slowly moving backwards towards a microscope. 

"Is that so?" Freya asked, finally standing up straight. She glared at Anah before rubbing her nose. "Because unless you've got wings--"

Anah took that as a challenge, because he started to take off his shirt. Freya's eyes got wide as she saw what was happening. "No! I did not give you permission to ta--"

He turned around and showed them his tawny and white wings. They were speckled with dark brown and black, and when he unfurled them, they were at least three and a half feet long each.

Kat noticed and her jaw dropped. They really went all out when creating her "perfect mate". She blinked and set her mind to the task at hand. She found the microscope that had a petri dish underneath the light that held the sliver of the Monestone. 

"Gotcha," she whispered. She plucked the sliver of stone from the device and found the part of the rock that it was taken from. "What do I do now?" she whispered to the Monestone. It almost seemed to glow as she heard the answer. 

Just as she was about to place the piece on the Monestone, Nova burst into the room. "Guys, we need you to come back. Nani... Well..." She looked at Kat and smiled sadly. "Your mom is dead."

Kat breathed out a sigh of relief. "Oh, thank god."

Nova blinked. "What?"

"My mom was a horrible, terrible, awful human-being who destroyed any chance of me having a normal life. I am glad she's dead."

Anah, on the other hand, looked stricken. "Adala is dead?" Nova went in to punch him in the face, but he caught her hand. "Is. She. Dead?"

Nova glared at him. "Yes."

He let go of her and looked at the wall for a moment before turning to Kat, his eyes filled with a new hatred. "This is all your fault!" he cried. "Your fault... and that thing's!" He held his hand out towards the Monestone and it started to vibrate in her arms. 

"What are you doing?" Brendan asked angrily.

"I'm destroying it," Anah said ferociously. When Nova and Freya jumped up to stop him, he waved his free hand out to them and a pulse of energy sent them flying; Nova into the wall, and Freya into a counter. 

They both slumped to the ground, unconscious. Brendan leapt to help them, but before he could, the sound of something shattering stopped him. 

"No!" Kat screamed. The Monestone was on the ground, broken into a hundred pieces. She held her hand to her mouth. "What have you done!" she yelled at Anah. 

He grinned at her. "I've only done what's best for the wo--"

Anah stopped talking as he noticed what was happening to the Monestone. Kat looked down and saw the bits and pieces of the stone glowing and shimmering. Slowly, a reddish-gold mist floated up from the remains of the Monestone, and up to Kat.

Captivated by its beauty, she reached out to touch the mist. 

"Don't!" Brendan shouted. "You don't know what it is!"

She ignored him.