Chapter 38: A New Power

Two Weeks Later

*****************************

Kat struggled to sit down in a chair by the window in the training room of the helicarrier. After she had finished absorbing the Monestone, it had caused some problems with her everything. Her legs had rendered completely useless. Her neck had a fracture, and her arms were weak. She couldn't use any of her powers yet, which frustrated her.

Someone came up beside her and scooped her up in their arms before placing her gently into the chair.. They took her wheelchair and rolled it to the side of the chair. 

She glanced to the side of her and saw Adam.

"Thanks, Adam," she said quietly, her voice still a bit scratchy and hoarse. 

He smiled. "No problem." He took a seat beside her and looked out at the horizon. "You know..." he said, breaking the silence. "If it weren't for your inability to follow orders, I wouldn't be here right now..."

She furrowed her eyebrows in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"When you absorbed the Monestone..." he started. "The pulse of energy basically wiped my mind of all the brainwashing Viper did, and SHIELD would have put me in prison if I hadn't changed. They did a lie test and everything..." He looked at Kat. "I'm not a science experiment. I was kidnapped from my family when I was six months old. They stole me and altered me, and now I can't go back to my family."

Kat let the information sink in before asking, "If you've really changed... Then why did you change your name?" She instantly regretted asking when she saw his expression change. "Sorry... I shouldn't have asked."

"No, it's fine." He scratched the back of his neck. "Anah... It held too many bad memories. I am not Anah: Adala's Best Creation. I'm me... And I want my name to mean me."

She smiled before seeing someone in the reflection of the glass. She tensed up. "Who's there?" she croaked. 

"Leroy," the person said, and she relaxed.

"I still can't look behind me yet, so you'll have to come where I can see you," she said quietly. 

Leroy's footsteps came closer and he came to a stop beside Adam's chair. "How are you feeling?" he asked, concerned.

Kat tipped one side of her mouth up. "I'm alright. You?"

He sighed. "It's not the same without Nani, you know?"

"I know. I never thought I would say this, but I miss her sardonic comments..." Kat mused. "I still don't know why I couldn't read her thoughts. It was like her abilities blocked me somehow."

"Maybe that's just it," Adam put in. 

Kat didn't see it, but Leroy sent him a glare. 

"What do you mean?" Kat inquired. "No one with powers has been immune to me..." 

Adam shrugged. "Maybe it's just her. Perhaps she's got some kind of... barrier that comes along with her other powers. I knew a guy back in the facility that was like that..."

Leroy saw that they were content by themselves, so he said, "Well, I'll just be going."

"No, don't go," Kat said, reaching out a hand to him. "Stay. It's been so long since we've had a proper conversation... You've been... distant."

He gave a half-hearted chuckle. "Yeah. I wonder why."

"What's that supposed to mean?" she demanded.

"Guys, we should all just--" Adam started.

"You shut your mouth," Leroy ordered. "This doesn't concern you."

Adam shot to his feet. "This doesn't concern me? She's my friend..." He paused to take a quick look at Kat, who looked like she wanted to stand up with them. "I want her to feel safe."

That took Leroy aback. "You don't think she's safe around me?"

Kat closed her eyes, wishing that she could be like a river otter and close her ears as well. As soon as she thought that, her whole body shrank, her face changed and grew whiskers. Her feet became webbed. Her body became small and lithe, and covered in fur. 

She squeaked in alarm.

Leroy saw her first and yelped. 

Kat made a series of noises that caught Adam's attention too.

Adam rushed over to her and crouched down in front of the chair. "Kat?"

She chirped in confirmation.

"What did you do?" Leroy asked, alarmed. 

All she could do was gurgle and jump. Then she turned her front to look at her legs, which looked good as new. "Gaguhguhgugh," Kat yelped.

Adam tenderly picked her up and cradled her in his arms. "Are you okay?"

She squeaked, not to answer his question, but in response to the fact that he was holding her. Even though he was made for her by scientists, and two weeks ago, he was trying to kill her, Kat had to admit that when he was himself, he was extremely attractive. His blonde hair had grown out longer, and his green eyes seemed more vibrant and full of life...

She didn't want to admit it, but she was beginning to develop a bit of a crush on him.

If only he was holding her when she was human...

Instantly, she became herself again. Somehow, her clothing had reappeared, sparing her the incredible embarrassment of being naked in the presence of guys. She was breathing hard, and her eyes were wide and confused. 

"What just happened?" she breathed.

Adam (who was still holding her, by the way) shrugged. "You tell us." He leaned down to be eye level with her and his eyebrows furrowed. "Are you sure you're okay?"

Kat looked around her and saw her wheelchair, that was still sitting right next to the chair. She looked down at her legs and took a tentative step away from Adam.

Her legs were working again.

_________________________________

Dear readers,

The picture at the top is a photo of the kind of otter that Kat turned into. Also, I have a few questions for you:

What happened to Nani? What do you think will happen next?

Comment your answers below. 

-flygirl1

P.S. Don't forget to vote, comment things you liked, and share!