Chapter 22: "Supportive" Team

Dear readers,

Thank you for sticking around for so long. It means a lot to me.

-flygirl1

__________________________________________________________________

Director Fury and Kat had worked for two hours each day trying to work on her memory, but either she didn't fall into a trance, or she wouldn't wake up for at least four hours.

"Well, that just won't do," Fury had said. "We might just have to pull you from the mission."

"No!" Kat had replied. "No. I can do this. As long as I don't think about my past, which is easy on something like a mission, then I'll be fine."

"And if you aren't?"

At that point, Kat had taken a deep breath. "I'll figure something out. I'll get through this. Just watch me."

"Fine. Now, you should probably get going. Your group will be training even harder as the mission approaches." Fury had nodded to Kat and walked out of the simulation room the night before the mission began.

As she walked towards her dorm room, Kat saw light pouring out from a door to her right. She heard laughter and chatter from the training room. She peeked inside to see what was going on and was shocked.

Inside was her team, dressed up in party hats, eating cake and chips and other unhealthy things while watching a movie: Mr. Popper's Penguins.

A little insulted, Kat stepped fully inside, watching as Jim Carrey laughed is hilarious laugh. Why hadn't she been invited? Didn't they all like her?

Almost like an answer to her question, Nova said, "Guys... I feel really bad. We shouldn't have left Kat out of this. This is a team celebration, and she's part of our team now... This might be our last chance to do this all together, and she's not here."

Knowing they were talking behind her back, Kat hid behind one of the tables behind them, listening closely.

"Please. We've been together for more than a year now. She's been here for, what, a week?" replied Nani, her hair swishing as she shook her head. "She's yet to gain our trust. Besides, she's basically putting us all in danger just by being here. Didn't you hear about how the intruders practically called her out while we were all asleep?"

"Hey, guys, shut up," Dian complained. "I wanna watch the movie. And Kat's cool. Sure, she's new, but that doesn't mean she isn't a valuable asset to the team."

Kat beamed as someone stood up to her; it didn't last long.

"Also, if we're in a compromising position, she's dying first," Dian added, almost like an afterthought.

Recoiling, Kat frowned. She didn't expect that at all. And she didn't expect any of them to laugh like they did... Even Nova giggled.

"Guys, that's mean," she said, smiling.

"But funny," Nani retorted.

Leroy stood up, furious. "You guys are awful! Kat's been so nice and patient with us, trying to learn all she can in the meager week she has, and now you guys are here making fun of her? Sure, she's new and all, but that doesn't mean she isn't strong, or good at fighting, or a weak link in the team. It certainly wasn't her fault that people came seeking her out, either! So shut up and watch the movie."

Freya sat up straight. "You're only saying that because you like her so much."

Leroy's face went red; so did Kat's. "Shut up," he muttered, sitting down.

Freya's eyes went wide. "You do like her! Ha! You like her, you like her, you like, like, like, like, like her!" she said in a sing-song voice.

"Shut up!" he yelled.

Brendan snorted. "Why do you like her? I mean, sure, she's cool, and everything... But... well, she's... weird. I mean, who has fainting spells every three seconds?"

Nani giggled in amusement. "That's so true."

Finally, Kat couldn't take it anymore. "Nice to know I have such a supportive team," she cried.

Six faces turned to see her. Nova's expression was one of pure shock, whereas Dian's and Nani's were almost like remorse.

"Were you... there the... entire time?" Leroy asked sheepishly.

She nodded. "Yes. And thank you, Leroy, for being the only one who actually stood up for me." She decided not to mention his little confession. Turning around on her heels, she sped out of the room, tears starting to stream down her face.

Just when she had found a place she thought she could belong, they had to turn around and stab her in the back. She'd thought Nova was a friend, and that Dian would be there to stand up for her... But neither of them had come through for her. It had just been Leroy.

She burst out a door that led to the deck of the helicarrier. She would have time for a small flight. Just one to help clear her thoughts. She slammed the door shut and took a gulp of cold evening air. The moon was up and the stars were shining brightly, giving her enough light to see by. On the deck were a few people milling around the huge planes that were resting on the deck platform.

Kat walked around the deck, searching for a railing or something that signified the edge of the helicarrier.

She found the edge of the ship and grasped the cold metal of the railing. Hot tears cascaded down her cheeks. Taking a deep breath, she lifted one leg up to rest on the railing, then the other, so now she was crouching on the railing.

"Hey! Kid! Get off of there! You could fall!" yelled a voice from behind her.

She glanced back at the man and called back, "That's all I want right now..." Kat stood up and turned to face the man. "Don't worry. I'll be fine. I'll be back before you know it."

Closing her eyes, Kat fell backwards, ignoring the shouts of the man, who reached out to catch her as she fell. She fell for about five seconds, relishing the feeling of the air against her back.

Sighing, Kat whipped out her wings and soared upwards, pushing her wings down, and shooting up into the night sky.