Chapter 12: Make-Your-Own-Disney-Princess

Dear readers,

There seems to be a bit of a problem with the chapter loading, so if it starts off with Kat yelling at Nova, then just refresh the page. It should start from the beginning.

_______________________________________________________

"So... a ball..." said Kat slowly.

Nova bounced up and down. "Yes! We haven't had one of these in so long!" 

"Do these happen often?" Kat adjusted her bow and arrow, aiming it at the target. "I mean, it's a spy organization. I wouldn't expect them to have... dances..." Letting go of the arrow, it flew towards the target, hitting the blue circle, four away from the center.

"No. They don't, but when they do, the're so much fun!" Nova grabbed her own bow and arrow and loaded it with an arrow. "I'm starting to wonder if that fitting wasn't just for new suits, but for dresses too!" She squealed with excitement and let go of the arrow, the arrow burying itself in the center of the target. 

Kat snorted. "Yeah... Fun..."

Nova nudged her. "Aw, come on. It'll be fun! Plus, we'll have to dance with boys!" She squealed again.

"I think I'm good. I'll just stand off to the side eating whatever food they offer." Kat laughed and loaded the bow with another arrow.

Nova turned to look at Kat and said, "You've got to be kidding me. You would pass up the moment in which you could dance with Brendan?" she asked dreamily.

"Yes. Now, how do I shoot this again?" Kat said matter of factly.

Giving her a mock-horror face, Nova loaded her arrow in as well. "Actually?"

"Listen, I just met the guy, and I'm not really into dances..." Kat let go of the arrow, hitting the top corner of the target.

Smiling, Nova put her bow down and said, "Well, we'll have to change that, now won't we?" 

Kat narrowed her eyes at her. "What are you talking about?"

"Just follow me."

Oh no. This can't be good. Kat followed Nova out of the room and down the hallway, curious and scared to see what Nova was up to. Nova led the way into a room labeled Simulations. Oh, gosh. Nova was going all Divergent on Kat. What next, an aptitude test?

Kat had read the series a few months ago, and was horrified at the end. What, did Veronica Roth really think it was funny to kill her main character? Really? She had planned on going and paying Veronica a visit, but she had no idea where to find her, and gave up.

"What are you doing? If you think for one minute I'm going to--" Kat stopped. The room was completely dark; Nova had disappeared. "Nova? Nova, where are you?" The door closed behind her. 

"The simulation will begin in three... Two... One..." a female's voice said over what sounded like an intercom. A sound like mist being released reached Kat's ears, and she smelled something strange and spicy. 

Shaking her head, Kat tried not to breath in the air, knowing what would happen if she did. But her lungs begged for even one breath, and even a tiny little burst of air made Kat dizzy. So dizzy that she fell to the floor and her eyes closed. 

The next thing Kat knew, the room was lit up and she was standing in a ball room. There was a high ceiling with crystal chandeliers and candles hanging above the crowd. Pillars surrounded the area, a tiled dance floor, and huge windows on the tall walls. 

There were couples dressed in ball gowns and tuxedos dancing across the floor, their movements fluid and smooth. 

"Very funny, Nova," she called out. She knew Nova could hear her. All she had to do was make Nova turn off the simulation. "I want out. Wake me up."

There was no response and she knew that Nova would make her suffer. Alright. I'll play along with your little game. Walking around the room, Kat took up a spot at the wall. She was about to sit down when she realized she wasn't in her SHIELD uniform.

"Really, Nova? A dress? What, is this make-your-own-Disney-princess? Put me back in my regular clothes!" Still no response. Stomping her feet, she looked down at the cyan ball gown. It was beautiful, and totally not her. Kat didn't wear dresses; she couldn't fight in them, and they were impractical. 

Still grumpy and terse, Kat made her way around the room, careful to avoid the dancing couples. Finding a few chairs, she sat down in relief. "So, what do I have to do to make this stop?" she asked the sky.

Suddenly a boy sat next to her. He was quite handsome, with his blue eyes and black hair and a chiseled jaw. "Hello. I noticed you sitting alone and thought I would come entertain you."

Kat rolled her eyes and said, "Thanks, but no thanks, I'm not interested." She turned and looked away, at the dancers. 

"Are you sure about that?" The boy stretched his arm and wrapped it around Kat's shoulders. 

"Yes. Quite." Kat got up, his arm dropping off of her, and walked away. "Are you done yet, Nova?"

The lights went dark, and she was emersed in shadows. The people disappeared and faded away, the ballroom gone. Kat found herself back in the room, laying on the floor. Nova was crouched in front of her. 

"Well, that didn't work, did it," Nova stated.

Kat glared at her and got up off the ground, dusting herself off. "Do that again and I'll stick your hand in a bowl of warm water when you're sleeping. Got it?"

Nova laughed and led the way out of the Simulation Room. Kat wondered what the room was for, other than torturing her. Maybe it was for intruders? Or training? Probably training.

Shaking her head, Kat closed the door and followed Nova down the hallway.