Chapter 9: First Night In

A few hours later, everyone was done being fitted and Kat was still shooting, hitting the orange ring around the center red circle of the target. "Is it always this difficult to shoot?" she asked.

"Nah, but it takes practice." Brendan was overseeing her training, which Nova had taken over of. 

"Alright. Now, everything is good, but your stance is a bit off. Try spacing your feet a little more. They're too close together," Nova directed. Kat did as she was told and aimed, closing one eye. "Don't forget, keep both eyes open. Breath out when you pull the trigger."

Kat opened both eyes and shot, exhaling as she pulled the trigger. The bullet this time went though the edge of the red. "That was closer..."

"Yeah. That was good. Now, just remember that when you aim, it's going to be a little off because of the gun's recoil." Nova demonstrated with her invisible air gun. 

"Right. Okay."

After a few more rounds, Kat finally hit the center of the target. She grinned as she saw the hole in the small black dot.

"Kat, that was awesome!" Nova exclaimed. "Now do it every time."

Kat kept shooting. One bullet after another, finally getting the hang of it. "This is kind of fun..." she said. 

"Yeah, but just remember, when you're up against an enemy, you can't pause to get into the right stance and you won't get time to aim. You'll have to do it all instantaneously. So, get some more practice in." She checked the clock on the wall. "Alright guys! It's time to get some rest. We've got about a week before we have to set off... At least, that's what I've been told."

There were the clangs of guns being put down, of cards being shoved in their bag, of Leroy closing his book as everyone got ready to go. 

"Um... Where do we... rest, exactly?" Kat asked dropping her pistol in the holder on the wall. "I haven't been given a formal tour exactly..."

"Ah, yes. I believe you're rooming with the rest of us girls. Just follow me," said Freya, closing a silver laptop. 

"Cool..."

Freya led the way out of the training room, her black hair swinging behind her. Kat followed, walking down the hallways, past doors that still glowed with activity and then they came to a room at the end of a dead end hallway. "This is our room. The boys are roomed right across from us. I believe someone set up your... Yes. You're bed has been made up for you."

She flicked on the lights and the room was illuminated with a bluish glow from the fluorescent lights on the ceiling. The floor was cold white-gray linoleum, the walls were painted a light gray. There were two bunk beds, all of them made up, one pushed up against each wall to the side. The back wall had another door on it and a little bedstand that had a small digital clock with glowing red numbers. "It's pretty plain, but it's home... For now, at least."

"It's great. So, where am I sleeping?" Kat asked. It was impossible to know; the beds all looked identical with their pastel blue blankets and white pillows. 

Freya gestured to the bottom bunk to the right. "You're right under me," she said, flashing the first smile Kat had seen from her all day. 

"Great... Well, good night," Kat said, yawning. 

"You can't go to bed yet. You don't have your pyjamas on yet," Freya chided.

Kat giggled. "Of course. Where would I find these pyjamas?" 

"One second." Freya opened a folding door, that Kat hadn't noticed, right next to the door and pulled out a pair of navy blue flannel pyjamas, the pants covered in the SHIELD logo. "Not very original, but they're pretty comfortable. You can change in the bathroom." She then gestured to the door on the back wall.

So that's what the door was for. Kat took the pyjamas from Freya and said, "Thanks. Well... Good night."

Nani and Nova came in as Kat went into the bathroom to change. She heard laughter and chatter as she pulled on the pants. Freya wasn't lying. They were really comfy.

She stepped out of the bathroom only to see Nova, Nani and Freya already changed. That was fast. "Where do I put the uniform?"

"Here, I can take that," Nova said, taking the uniform before Kat could say yes or no. She hung it up in the closet and said, "There. Perfect. For future reference, it's the furthest to the left."

Kat laughed. "Thanks, Nova." She pulled the blanket off of her bunk and hopped in. "I'll see you guys in the morning."

"Okay. G'night, guys!" Nova flicked the lights of and the room was shrouded in darkness.

____________________________________________________

Dear readers,

The picture at the top is Dian. Just, make his eyes blue.

-flygirl1