Chapter 18: Flashback

"You? Why would they come for you?" Kat looked down at her feet and Leroy realized what he had just said. "No! I didn't mean it that way! I mean, I didn't mean to make you seem bad or anything. I just meant--"

She gave him a small smile. "It's okay. I know what you meant... I hope."

He tried to smile back, but it was strained, almost forced. "Um... The people said that everyone would wake up tomorrow morning. And it's pretty late now... It's..." He checked a silver wrist watch that had been hidden under his pyjama shirt.

"It's just after midnight. We should get some sleep." He nodded with finality and turned around, starting towards the door before he remembered what had been in front of it.

Kat turned around with him and froze at the sight in front of her. "Um... Where... Where did they... go?"

On the floor, where Lily and James had been laying, was the pool of blood, and no body. Nothing. No clothing, no hair, no guns, no nothing. It was like they just... disappeared into thin air. Like magic...

___________________________________________________________

Kat lay awake on her bunk. With the help of Leroy, she was able to move Nova up to her bunk on top of Nani's, and Freya back up to her bunk on top of hers. 

She turned, checking the clock for the millionth time in the last five minutes. 1:01 AM.

Turning back onto her back, she stared at the wood beams of Freya's bunk. She thought about all of the events of the day.

First, there was the ball in which she didn't participate in. Then, everyone was drugged, and wouldn't wake up for another five hours at least. After that, she and Leroy met up with some people that sacrificed themselves for the kids. And then, after that, there was that message to her from... From them, saying that they would find her.

Kat had thought she had escaped her past, but obviously they had still kept tabs on her. Shaking her head, she sat up, tossing her blankets off. Quietly rummaging through the closet for some sort of footwear, she found little slippers with the SHIELD logo emblazoned on the side in glittering silver.

Quietly, as not to wake up Leroy if he was still awake, she slipped out of the room to take a walk. Walking down the dimly lit hallways, she remembered the reason she had run away. Oh yeah, because of the torture and pain she had suffered. 

Blinking hard, she tried not to remember the horrible things that had been done to her as a small child, but it was no use. 

******

Two year old Kat sat on an examining table, playing with coloured wooden blocks. She wore a white dress-type hospital gown. She had her dark curly brown hair cut short, and her tan skin was much paler. Her hazel eyes glowed with pleasure as she made a tower of ten blocks that didn't fall down. She stacked another blue block on the very top, and it toppled over onto the table. She squealed with glee.

Some scientists took her blood pressure. She took no notice of it and continued moving. The scientists nodded together as they checked the meter. They murmured various observations as they studied the small girl.

"Alright, Kitty. Your blood pressure is regular. What did you have for lunch, sweetie?" asked a pretty young woman with dark hair and blue-hazel eyes. 

Young Kat stopped playing for a moment. "Um... Sheese and Cwackers."

The woman smiled. "Anything else?"

Kat shook her head. "Nah."

Nodding to some people behind her, the woman took Kat's hand. "Okay, dear Kitty. Do you mind if I call you Kit?" Little Kat shook her head. "Right. Kit it is. Kit, you're going to feel a little prick in your arm. Okay? It's just going to hurt for a little bit. Just focus on my face."

The little girl nodded, her short curly brown hair bouncing up and down. "Okay."

Making sure Kat wasn't looking at her arm, the woman motioned for the other scientists to step forward and do their work. Instead of simply injecting her with some chemicals, they grabbed Kat's arms and legs and held her to the table. 

"Owie!" she cried. "Owie, let go!" She struggled, but a small two year old can only do so much. They strapped her down, tears and all. "No! I hurts!" she wailed. 

The pretty woman leaned over Kat and said, "Don't worry, Kit. It won't hurt for long. We're going to inject a numbing agent so you won't feel a thing. Alright?"

Shaking her head, Kat struggled some more, but felt the prick of the needle anyway. "No..." The numbing agent went into effect and she couldn't feel her arm. "No..."

___________________________________________________________

Dear readers,

The eye is Kat's eye. Just, make the green on the edges come in a little more so the brown doesn't dominate the entire thing. So, um... yeah.

-flygirl1