Fezco Loses His Faith & Finds His Calling

EXT. RIVER - DAWN

The sky is vast and the morning light is perfect. A large group of WORSHIPERS stand at the banks of a peaceful river, all wearing white linen. An extended choir opening of "All for Us" sings angelically as RUE narrates.

The camera pushes through those waiting on the bank to reveal a small group standing waist deep in the water. They stand, eagerly watching, with arms outstretched toward their focal point:

                          RUE (V.O.)

Some people are born to do one thing.

FEZCO'S FATHER - late 30s and with the looks and charm of Ted Bundy - who prays enthusiastically. His hands are submerged under water, baptizing YOUNG FEZCO - 7 years young and smiling serenely under the water.

With a small tug from his father, Young Fezco shoots out of the river and dramatically into the air as Fezco's Father shouts his blessing into the sky.

A now dripping Young Fezco smiles into camera as the crowd roars with praise. Fezco's Father beams and embraces his son.

             RUE (V.O.)

Fezco was born to sell.

Tonal change, music cue: "I'm a Hustler" by Cassidy, brings us into the next tableaux.

INT. CHURCH - ENTRYWAY - MORNING

Large double doors swing open as Young Fezco enters the church, oozing confidence in his 3 piece suit. He's backlit by a heavenly early morning sunlight that is pouring through the stained glass in the lobby of the church. His family enters behind him - all dressed in their finest.

            RUE (V.O.)

And his family couldn't have been more proud.

FEZCO'S MOTHER - 30's, natural looks well kept - is polished and modest, holding a swaddled baby - Fezco's little brother. FEZCO'S SISTER - 12, in pigtails and a pristine dress - sashays alongside her mother. Fezco's Father brings up the rear and as soon as they are through the doors, they are met by his parents. FEZCO'S GRANDMA - elegant in her 60s - and FEZCO'S GRANDPA - late 70s and scowling - are already meeting and greeting people as they enter the church. The camera tracks backwards to take in all of their familial glory.

        RUE (V.O.)

You see, Fezco was a pastor's son. And that makes him church royalty.

The family are positioned perfectly underneath a large stained glass cross that adorns the entrance to the church's auditorium.

INT. CHURCH - AUDITORIUM - CONTINUOUS

The family makes their way down the center aisle as the large room quickly fills for the morning service, shaking hands and hugging people as they pass by.

        RUE (V.O.)

I know what you're thinking: "Rue, I thought you were talking about how Fezco started dealing drugs."