Chapter 6

TW in the description
Thank you to Inkendz for the art!

Alberto POV

Over the next three days, Alberto's condition improved exponentially. On the second day, Mattias came flying into the room, panicked that Alberto's monitors had gone silent when Alberto had left his bed to go shower.

Mattias couldn't stop marveling at the recovery.

"You shouldn't be able to stand right now, let alone walk." He said, watching Alberto stretch his legs. Alberto couldn't go very far, and even standing in the shower tired him quickly. But it was still remarkable. He was eating solid foods on day three, his appetite ravenous. Luca kept sneaking him extra portions of food when Mattias wasn't looking.

Alberto was feeling so good that ignoring Luca's closeness at night was becoming increasingly difficult. Before, he was too weak to let his nerves get to him. But he was having a hard time not noticing how good Luca looked in the bed beside him.

"I need to keep it together." He scolded himself.

Even if Luca couldn't remember their last moments in the black box, he did. He remembered Luca's parting words. He remembered the feeling in his chest when Luca said he loved him. Alberto would never forget that.

But Luca's memory was foggy, and Alberto couldn't push his feelings right now. Not when everyone was still recovering. They needed time.

Giulia and Eshe stayed in the room with them most days. Giulia only left to explore the estate on a few occasions. She kept complaining that she wanted to show them, but Mattias was adamant that Alberto wasn't allowed from the room until the end of the week.

"The barn has like ten horses in it. They're so cute!" She said, giggling.

"Wow! I'd like to see that." Luca said, amazed. Alberto knew that Luca had never seen a horse in real life before. Now that he thought about it, neither had he.

"And the lake is beautiful!" Giulia said. "The water is freezing, but it's crystal clear!"

"Oh yes, about that. "Mattias said, pulling an additional sweater over his head. It was getting colder outside. Luca and Alberto needed extra blankets to sleep. The workers in the home kept fires going in the fireplaces continuously.

"What?" Giulia asked.

"You two shouldn't spend more than an hour in that Lake water," Mattias said.

"Why not?" Alberto asked.

"It's freshwater. Your bodies aren't made for that."

"What will happen?" Luca asked, interested.

"You'll swell up. Might get sick."

"Well, I still want to try it at least once," Alberto said, crossing his arms stubbornly. He had gained a significant amount of weight over the past few days. His cheeks had lost that gaunt appearance and his hands were no longer so skeletal.

Eshe laughed from the corner. She kept to herself but always stayed close.

"What's so funny?"

"You just remind me... well, of someone." She said, hiding again behind the book in her hand.

"I love that book!" Luca said, recognizing the title. "What part are you at?"

Eshe's brows furrowed. "I don't know. I can't read this language."

"Oh." Luca said. "if you need help learning to read, I can teach you."

Alberto remembered Luca's dream to open a school in Portorosso.