Chapter 7

TW in the description
Thank you to rare.candykale. art AND Mindie_arts for the art! (Mindie's art is Patreon exclusive!)
Enjoy Chapter 7.5 for extra content on Patreon!

Giulia POV

Giulia watched as Mattias took off the wires and sensors attached to Alberto. He was officially well enough to leave the makeshift hospital room they created.

"About time." Alberto huffed as he discarded the sticky tape on his skin.

"Quit your whining. I still need to do regular checkups on you." Mattias said, catching the wires before they hit the floor.

"At least you won't be spying on me in the middle of the night anymore." Alberto retorted.

"I said no such thing," Mattias said. Alberto glared at him.

Giulia laughed. Watching those two argue was the only spark of life at the Lakehouse.

"You can move to your own rooms now," Mattias ordered. "Alberto, I still want you in the room down the hall, so I am close."

Alberto rolled his eyes at him but took his bag of belongings and made his way to the last vacant room on the first floor.

"Luca, you can have the upstairs all to yourself." Mattias offered.

"Oh.. alright. Thank you." Luca said, taking his belongings and walking up the stairs. Giulia noticed he didn't seem too happy to be moved to a separate room.

She got the distinct feeling he would have rather stayed with Alberto. She knew Al had strong feelings for Luca. Had he finally expressed them? Something about those two seemed.... close—more than usual.

But even more remarkable than their close relationship was the physical changes she saw in them.

When they arrived, Luca was frail and sick, and Alberto was on death's door. It had only been two weeks, and they were already unrecognizable. Both Sireno had gained all their weight back plus some. Alberto's body looked almost swollen with fast-developing muscles. His arms were more prominent, and so were the muscles down his legs. Even tiny Luca was starting to show a small bicep line down his arm.

"What is happening with those two?" She thought. There was no hint that either of them had experienced starvation.

They looked fit, alert, and just.... strong. Stronger than ever.

"Hey, Al?" She asked as she helped Alberto put his new clothes into his closet.

"What's up?" He asked, towering over her.

"Are you feeling ok?"

"Never better!" He said, bouncing on the balls of his feet. "Why?"

"You look different. Like - waaay different."

"Is it because I'm jacked now?" He said, flexing his arms. Giulia rolled her eyes.

"Don't you think it's a little weird you're jacked even though you haven't been working out?"

But before he could answer, the door opened, and Luca came in.

"We just got a letter. It's from Massimo." He said breathlessly.

They all dashed to the living room, where Mattias and Eshe already stood waiting.

"What does it say?" Giulia asked desperately.

Mattias's eyes scanned the papers in his hands.

"Not good." He said. But at everyone's panicked faces, he quickly added, "Massimo is ok! I mean, the situation is worse than we thought."