Chapter 10

TW in the description
Thank you to Inkendz on Instagram for this piece! It got my heart pounding!

Alberto POV

The words hung in the air, making the world go still. Alberto watched Luca's breath fill the space between them. Then Luca looked down, his eyes thoughtful.

"Before I answer...I need to tell you something too." Luca said.

Alberto held his breath.

"What is that?" Alberto asked.

"That you're wrong," Luca said, making Alberto's heart fall slightly.

"Yes, our bodies broke the laws of nature by connecting us with a Life Bond. That happened out of survival. But the laws of nature are just that. Nature wanting to assure that compatible couples can have kids. The only thing the Life Bond had to overcome was the fact that we are both males. It didn't overcome the other, most important part of a Bond."

Alberto waited, listening to every word.

"That is... the love between us. The Life Bond couldn't compensate for that. And it didn't have to... because it was already there."

Luca looked up, his eyes brimming with tears. Alberto put his hand on Luca's arm, steadying him.

"We would have died, Alberto." He said, his voice cracking with emotion. "But we didn't. And that's because we were already in love with each other. I was already in love with you, Alberto."

Alberto stepped closer, his eyes glassy.

"So to answer your question," Luca whispered as Alberto leaned down, cupping his face. "Yes...I will be your mate, Alberto."

Luca's eyes closed, and tears ran down his cheeks as Alberto leaned in, pressing their lips together.

Alberto didn't feel the pinch of the cold. His chest felt like it might burst. He was alive with love in his heart. The rope inside him didn't feel like a rope at all. It was molten iron burning at his insides, sending waves of emotion to Luca. They didn't need words. Both ends of the bond were white-hot, ablaze with their acceptance of one another. As partners. As mates.

They kissed, their hot breath freezing in the air around them. Alberto broke away and took Luca's hand, leading him back inside. The room glowed with blue light—the color of the ocean where they grew up. The rippling water danced across the ceiling. The tall blue lamps sparkled like they were filled with fireflies.

Alberto looked at Luca, the blue light reflecting on his skin, his clothes... his slightly parted lips. Alberto could feel Luca's emotions rolling through his mind. He could feel the intensity of Luca's desire and how it matched his own.

But there was also a growing panic of nerves inside them both. Things were just... moving so fast. Too fast. They both needed time to take this all in and center themselves.

"Um..." Alberto said, standing in what now felt like a very large room, holding Luca's hand.

"I think we should... that is if you don't want to...."

Both their eyes fell to the bed and then lowered their gazes to their feet, faces burning.

"We should... take it slow," Luca said.

"Oh. Ok." Alberto said, relieved.

"I hope that's ok," Luca said, now giving him a worried expression. The blue light rippled across his skin.

"Of course it is." Alberto pulled Luca to him, wrapping his arms around him. "We both need time to figure this out."

They prepared for bed, awkwardly turning around while the other changed into nightclothes.