29

Okay so this is the thing, I've had valentines in the past before — old friends who'd give me things playfully and even the occasional girlfriend or two.

What I haven't had is a boyfriend. I don't know what to expect. Was Elias planning something for me? Probably not, he didn't seem to be the romantic type yet then again he did get me Christmas presents when I hadn't expected any.

I, on the other hand, just got him some snacks, cologne, a cute card and a plushy baseball pillow which now sits in the middle of his bed. He smiled and thanked me kindly but didn't reciprocate a gift.

I wasn't upset or anything, in fact I thought it was cute watching Elias get bombarded with gifts and cute stuffed animals (most he gave to my friends because, and I quote him, "what the fuck imma do with this?") all day at school.

By the end of the day, I basically didn't get anything — Tyla's not so untrue rumor of me being gay having spread throughout the whole school.

People aren't as judgmental obviously (it's the fucking twenty first century after all) but it's somewhat annoying that the girls are more friendly and the guys glare more.

Roshaun is not an exception, he glares at me as if I'm the one who outed his friends. Nonetheless, because I'm always with Elias he doesn't say anything — not even in class. I figure he must be a little intimidated and it's completely understandable.

Regardless, I can't help but wonder how he's feeling when I see him lost in thought and staring at his best friend's empty seats.

After school Rhei and I have been tasked with working on a mural for our art club. It's a competitive mural for two scholarships and will be placed in the hallway where everyone can see.

We've decided to combine everything we stand for: minorities, the lgbtq, and saving the planet (Nicolette is very good at persuading).

We're only about halfway through but so far we've received many votes, Elias being a great help by telling everyone on his baseball team to vote for us.

He's still at practice when I get home, the house empty because our parents left town to celebrate Valentine's Day. I'm basically covered in paint so I head straight to the shower, washing from head to toe.

I smell of vanilla and Shea butter by the time I'm done, a towel drying at my hair as I pull on some sweats.

I start my homework and work on it for about two hours before I get hungry. I make my way downstairs only to be met with Elias frantically adjusting the table.

I blink, taking in the lit candle, orange and red bouquet of flowers, plates of pasta, gift bags and chocolate covered strawberries on the table with wide eyes.

"Fuck, surprise," he says, glaring at his spread almost disappointedly before sighing.

I just smile, coming around the table to wrap my arms around him. I press him tightly against me, breathing in the smell of his body wash as I kiss his cheek.

"Thank you baby, it's so pretty. I love it."

"You do?" He asks unsurely, blinking at the items incredulously before looking at me.

He looks so uncertain and worried, his lashes long and eyes doe as I lean up to kiss his lips once. "I do, thank you. I love you so much."

He lets out this relieved sound. "I love you too, fuck I've never done this before."

I laugh a little at that before turning to the chocolate covered strawberry. I lean back against the table and take a bite, the juice spurting and dripping down my chin as I hum in delight.