26

Being on this trip has made me oblivious. In the beginning I had noticed the lingering stares and the faint expressions. The anger and oddness— I KNEW. I knew they meant something — everything. I had known something was off and I felt it.

Yet, I ignored it.

Never ignore your instinct.

The trip had sadly come to an end. The beaches, the activities, the dinners, dates, and shared smiles between me and my flourishing Elias...

I find myself hoping that things will be the same but at home there's work, school, drama and flavorful yet, bland dinners.

Elias hasn't started acting differently or anything but I was biased now. He's shown me a different side of him here and I'm not completely sure if he plans on taking that part of him back home.

I know I shouldn't expect it or force him to change for me.  Even wanting him to be more open would make me a hypocrite my damn self yet, somewhere deep inside of me wishes that he'd continue to do so.

"What would you consider yourself now? Like would you consider yourself gay?" I ask Elias as we walk from a small coffee shop to where our parents and Junior are waiting.

He almost chokes on his bagel and I laugh, almost dropping my donut holes.

"What do you think?" He asks defensively and I blanch.

"Well I don't know?" I shrug. It's not like he was having hot, horny sex with me — not at all, "that's why I asked."

"No."

"You're not gay?" I clarify and his expression is nonchalant.

"No."

"So you think you're still straight?" I ask and try not to allow my hesitance to show.

His eye twitches and based on the way the vein in his neck throbs I know I'm pushing it too damn early in the morning.

"No," he just says simply and I frown.

"Oh...well..." I trail off and he looks over at me, chewing his bagel.

"Can't me just liking you be enough?" He asks and I blush, not expecting that.

"No of course. You don't need to label yourself."

I smile softly to my self, not even noticing the set of eyes trained on Elias and I's every move. The person doesn't say anything, doesn't approach us, yet when it's finally time for them to leave they stand and say their goodbyes.

"Yeah I'm not going back with y'all sadly," Junior says nonchalantly, already having hugged our parents and now hugging Elias. He whispers something to the younger and Elias snorts as he pulls away. "You stay out of trouble, okay man? I love you."

"I love you too," Elias says and I know he means it. I know he didn't want to leave on bad terms with his brother and I advised him not to.

Junior hugs me then just as his flight is announced.

"Aww, I'm gonna miss you," I laugh as he wraps his arms around me.