03

School was always something I looked forward to in the past. It and my art was my way of getting away from everything going on in my life.

My dad, his drugs, anxiety.

I use to love going until today.

"You excited?! First day of school papi!" My mom exclaims, back hugging me side to side.

I laugh, nodding. "Yeah I'm excited. Kind of nervous though."

She pouts, looking up at me. "Oh, why you nervous?! Don't be nervous! It's gonna be fun! You're gonna make friends and get all popular with that cute face of yours!"

I smile although my self esteem is lowered upon Elias entering the kitchen.

He's dressed simply in a windbreaker, T-shirt, jeans, and Nike's paired with some jewelry. I, on the other hand, kind of went all out; denim jacket, graphic tee, denim black jeans, some high top converse... and I feel self conscious. Like did people still wear denim jackets? Do I look weird?

Yup, based on the way Elias is eyeing me oddly.

"Good morning Elias," my mom greets happily.

"Morning," he responds back gloomily but nonetheless polite as he pours a bowl of cereal.

She smiles, clearly happy that he's engaging with her. "You excited for your first day?"

"It's whatever," he shrugs and I snort, earning an unamused glance from him.

"Well hopefully the day goes well for the both of you. Goodluck on everything!"

"Thanks."

"Thanks mami," I kiss her cheek. "Love you."

"Love you too pepito."

I groan at that, her chuckling as she leaves the kitchen.

I look up then about to speak to Eli when I catch him staring at me. I blink, eyes feeling hot as I sputter.

"Um... let me know when you're ready."

He doesn't say anything, just stares until I finally leave his sight.

I sigh, quickly going to brush my teeth before applying chapstick and grabbing my Ochre colored Kanken bag and keys.

Coming down the stairs I almost run into Eli and he scoffs lowly as we do the whole awkward side step thing.

I cringe as soon as I'm in the sitting room and alone, snap chatting an old friend as I wait for him.

"You ready?" I ask when he finally comes down, backpack on.

"Obviously," he rolls his eyes.

'*'

First days of anything are always usually amazing or nerve wrecking. Sometimes they're both. For me they were neither.

My first class I was humiliated — or in more known terms — "roasted" simply for my outfit. Who knew sporting a denim jacket and Harry Styles tee was "sus" (suspect, gay, fruity, odd, etc.).

I'll admit, I am pretty odd. Any other guy my age would probably have roasted back or simply said shut up.

I didn't.

I couldn't.

As soon as the guy, Roshaun, laughed upon me introducing myself and my likes of art and photography, I knew this school wasn't as open as my old one.

As soon as the word art left my lips.

"Ah that nigga said he like art. Art. I should've known just by his outfit he a fruit."