14

"Hey pepito, how are you feeling my love?"

I smile, my mom dropping a kiss onto my forehead as she pinches my cheeks.

"I'm fine, was just feeling under the weather this morning."

My mom glances at me as she starts pulling out groceries. "Yeah, Elias told me he was taking care of you," she smiles, turning away to heat up a pot. "I'm so happy you two are getting along finally and can be there for each other when we have to work."

I purse my lips in confusion. He told her he was taking care of me?

"Yeah... we're pretty close now."

"That's good," She looks at me over her shoulder. "But what's bothering you?"

Shit.

"Nothing I just—"

The door opens and I hear a familiar giggle.

"C'mon," I hear Elias's voice and I internally roll my eyes, already knowing that he brought Tyla over.

They go upstairs and my mom rolls her eyes, not hiding her distaste. "These damn kids these days. I hope he uses protection."

I snort. "I think he's smart enough to."

She hums, changing the subject thankfully.

'*'

"Hey mami, smells good."

I look up from my spot on the stool, where I'm scrolling through Instagram, to see Enrique. He just came from work based on how he's dressed.

"Hey little man," he greets and I smile.

"Sup."

"What's been going on with you? How's school?"

My mom peeks up at that, still mixing her salad.

"It's been good. I get along with everyone," I shrug, chewing on a cucumber.

"No sports still?" Enrique asks and I meet his eyes, his expression is kind of critical.

"No but I joined black student union and the lgbtq club."

My mom stops mixing at that whilst Enrique's eyebrows furrow.

"What's that?"

"It's the gay club," an entitled, mocking voice says and I glance over to see a cheesing Tyla with Elias right behind her.

"Hi Mr. Ramirez," she kisses his cheek in greeting and I internally gag, her eyes glaring at me.

"Hello sweetheart."

They've met a few times already and Enrique was really fond of her, my mom not so much.

"Mrs. Ramirez," Tyla says slyly and my mom offers a fake grin.

"Um, yeah," Enrique looks back at me. "Why'd you join a gay club?"

I look over at my mom. She's biting her lip now and ignoring Tyla's stank face to meet my eyes. They're soft and supportive.