02

"Pepito!"

I groan, rubbing my eyes as I turn over in my comfortable ass bed.

God, I never wanted to get up.

"Hi mi amor, how was your sleep?"

I look up at my mom and smile as she sits beside me. "Good."

She grins back. "I'm glad. I have to get a few things done today so I just came to say goodbye," she explains as she arranges some things on my dresser.

"Okay," I get out groggily as I sit up.

She leans over to kiss my cheek before wiping it roughly with her thumb. "Oops, lip gloss."

I glare playfully, her ruffling my hair before standing.

"Oh, here's a debit card."

My eyes widen in confusion.

"For what?"

She frowns. "What do you mean for what? Schools tomorrow and you need new clothes, shoes, and a haircut."

"Oh," I breathe.

She purses her lips before sitting again. "I know I didn't do my part as a mom then but I promise you I will now okay? Forget all the petty little gifts you got from me every blue moon. I'm going to make sure you're straight now and forever."

I smile softly at that before snorting. "Hey don't go spending all your money on me."

She makes a face — a mischievous one. "I'm glad you said that. BRB!"

I laugh at that, watching as she leaves my room briefly before coming back with something behind her back.

"Here! A present!"

I raise a brow, trying to hold back my grin as I take it hesitantly.

"Mami..." I complain, "I don't need anything else."

"I don't care what you don't need," she says sassily and I huff before pulling out a brand new iPhone.

"The latest version," she squeals excitedly, her feet pounding.

I just gape, pulling out air pods to go with it and a pair of small hoop earrings.

"You haven't had earrings since that one time I took you to get your ears pierced huh?!" My mom asks in an aggravating tone.

I chuckle, reminiscing them. "Yeah papi made me take them out." I had to hide my septum for him too.

"That fucking—" she groans, cutting herself off when my face falls at accidentally bringing him up.

"I'm sorry."

"No it's okay I—" I blink furiously, leaning in to hug her tightly. "Thank you mami." She smells like shea butter and roses.

She hugs me back tightly, rocking side to side. "No thank you, my pretty baby boy," she pulls away to wipe the stray tear from under my eye.