CHAPTER TWENTY TWO.

and death seemingly stood there for an eternity. every passing second — a life would be taken away from living, and death would be welcomed to the dead — like a complimentary cycle that was meant for one another.

after her unpleasantly long break as she visited her friend's grave, it seemed that the apostle was starting to have doubts. doubts about what? what for? — doubts were useless, after planning her revenge after so long, doubt was not an option — and so, her feet decided to bring her to a place that she could relax; starsnatch cliff. a place where she could reminiscent the peaceful past when life was beautiful, when life was a flower fragrance that floated in the air, welcoming all sorts of happy memories.

memories are nothing more but mere figments of the past, happiness is nothing but a temporary bliss; whilst guilt, is something that haunts a being for eternity.

"barbatos, come out." letting out a sigh, the apostle shook her head. hand delicately picking up a cecilia flower, holding it close her face as she admired its white petals. "i know you're here."

"a beautiful view, isn't it?"

barbatos — ever so gracefully — descended to the ground from the sky with assistance of the wind. he extended his arms towards the apostle who stared at him, unfazed.

"indeed." after a momentary pause, her lips parted slightly, slowly forming a subtle smile. "though, a shame that i'd have to depart now."

"can't you stay?" almost as if a plea, a child begging for their parents to stay, only to end in no avail; most likely due to the fact that there were other priorities that were set. "please?"

why spend such precious time with a child when there were better things to do? sex, money, drugs and whatnot! — this is the cruel and bitter reality that everyone must acknowledge.

"i have no reason to do so." the apostle's thoughts drifted away. further, and further. part of her was wondering what ganyu and xiao were up to, and the other half was the plan to decimate rex lapis alongside celestia. "rather, is there something you'd like to tell me?"

"i love you!" barbatos suddenly exclaimed. it was an absurd yet airy tune that rung between them. his arms wrapped around and tightening around the apostle as he buried his head on her shoulders. "i love you so, so, so much."

"i know. but how much?" nonchalantly, the apostle's head flopped slightly to the back, her silky hair brushing past barbatos's head. though her arms, held captive by the anemo archon, she did not refute. "do amuse me... to what extent do you cherish me?"

"i'd rip my organs for you, i'll tear my skin and carve my bone." mumbling slightly, his eyes glinted in violent swirls of teal. similarly; into a pair of ferocious predator that's been eyeing on its prey, he would not let her escape from his grasp once more. "my hands will be yours and so will my eyes."

"a tempting offer." the apostle hummed along, before a frosty breeze came along. escaping out of barbatos's grasp, she couldn't help but let a smile. "but i must remind you, i am not a living being like i once was."

why did she smile at such an odd situation? perhaps it was to express her satisfaction and how pleased she was with her outcome of crafting the perfect marionette.

"i love you with all my soul, regardless." barbatos knew that the apostle would never smile at him the way she once did before, and that her smile will only be ones of a vixen, always calculative. he knew it was his fault for letting her die, that he wasn't worthy enough to be with her. hell, an archon and a deity? it just didn't seem fitting. but of course — he knew very well that his love wouldn't be reciprocated — no expectations, no return. "i am yours to command, my love."

it was a pure love that was engulfed by guilt. but in his eyes, the apostle is his world, his everything. and so, he would gladly become a villain to sacrifice the whole of teyvat for her. yes it's not love, perhaps lust? an overwhelming sensation of obsession as his body burned love for her.

though, the only response the poor bard received was a nod of acknowledgement. no words, no sentences, nothing. not a single breath was spared for his loving and sacred oath that he had presented for the apostle.

and of course without a doubt, this one sided love hurt. but he didn't mind at all. although it broke his soul and shattered his heart; it was enough of a price for letting her life be taken away. barbatos didn't mind the torturous pains and wraths that he had to face for the apostle.

"so please, love me back."

because in the end, it's a beautiful unrequited love.

━━━━━

( CHAPTER XXII )