CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT.

to say the least, it was a very intense atmosphere between the group. one deity who held intentions to kill the archons and destroy teyvat, two adepti that followed the deity but reluctant, and two archons who wanted to finish it off peacefully, with minimal dispute.

"xiao, ganyu." rex lapis called out. his broad voice echoed in the silent atmosphere. it wasn't loud, nor was it soft. it held an authoritative power, deep and soothing. "what are you doing?"

neither of them answered. which was expected; well, who would want to respond to their master whom they'd trusted so much, yet abandoned them? the lingering feeling of bitterness still stung within their souls even though they knew he had his own reasons.

being selfish is a natural phenomenon. that is something that no one could ever deny. everyone who stood there, at the top of the cathedral, was there for a different reason, yet for a particular person.

the apostle. yes, all four mythical beings that stood before at the same place, for a dead deity who wanted to desecrate teyvat.

"can't you see, rex lapis?" scoffing, the apostle rolled her eyes at the sight of the geo archon. "oh, my bad! your sight probably deteriorated since you dare not witness losing another person precious to you."

when the apostle referred to guizhong, rex lapis could barely hold the stoic expression of his that remained on his face that he kept on for an eternity. 

"your manners, has became absurdly awful."

"well, its not like i'm here to be your friend~" 

as the two beings retorted, barbatos, on the other hand, admired the apostle in awe. sure, perhaps he had a feeling, an intuition that was screaming right at his face and ears that he was going to die — he didn't mind — after all, he loved her, right?

if so, if only. if he could prove his love and loyalty once more to her by dying. he would hold onto a sword and gauge his eyes, he would strike a polearm right into his chest, he would use a claymore to brutally crush his bones, he would use a bow to strike his heart like a cupids arrow, he would use a catalyst to burn himself into ashes.

he just would for her.

"apostle..." barbatos had his emerald green hues mesmerised by the girl. using the guise of his winds embrace, he drifted above, before landing in front of the apostle. he saw the dagger that she held on and smiled. grabbing her unoccupied hand, he placed her palm onto his throat. "i love you."

he loved her, he adored her, he was hers.

and he will make sure that his death will be her happiness.

the apostle, noticed the bard's action. of course, she couldn't help but beam at his behaviour. she then glanced back at rex lapis, who was... devastated at barbatos's behaviour, for he could not understand what sort of trance he was under. being a worthful comrade, he attempted to save barbatos, like any sane man would. however, xiao and ganyu intercepted.

"bring him as far as possible."

"understood."

with the one line of command, the two adeptus brought rex lapis, who tried to reason, further away. until they reached out of her sight, the apostle looked back at barbatos.

"oh dearest celestia!" she screamed, clenching onto his throat tighter. with the volume that she let out, several civilians and worshippers noticed the small commotion. though, it wasn't just any scream. it was the sort of war cry that one would hear as their sanity is torn apart into shreds. it was the kind of shout that one would release as they would be brutally tortured, skinned alive, burned alive, drowned alive, god knows what kind of situation would make such scream. "are you watching this?"

the apostle had hated the fact that she was a puppet for celestia. she was a god too. in fact, she is a god. she stood above everyone, every being, every creature except for the creator of god themselves; yet why did she have to suffer such humiliation?

was it because she lived like a mortal? no, that couldn't be a reason. it was as if hearing a tale of an archon become a jester, performing in carnivals in the mortal realms for other archons to witness! just because of the lifestyle they lived?

"why? why is it that i have to suffer such misery?" her breath hitched irregularly. thump, thump, her heart began racing in erratic rhythms. a three against two beat suddenly shifted to a three against four, a cut time, a common time, syncopated, waltz. "what is the purpose of all of this?"

was her misery a sort of victory? was it medals of glory to be displayed of a memento mori? pathetic wasn't she? living underneath gods grasp yet she couldn't really break free; like a curse that was bestowed upon her ever since she'd breathe.

perhaps, her very first sin was existing. but, it wasn't just a simple existence. not only being born, not just existing, not just being in love. her mistake that had made heavens furious. her problem that made celestia stir in chaos and madness, utter havoc. what a fool for her to only realise it after thousands of years.

she wasn't meant to be a deity.

"celestia, tell me... if i were to amuse you." holding onto her cryo infused dagger, the apostle looked at it with a solemn smile, before glancing back at barbatos who she held at his throat. she placed it onto his limp arm, as her hand guided his arm. "if i were to successfully entertain you, you'd promise to free me from this everlasting hell."

if she were to become a puppet. a marionette that'd fulfill the requirements of making a show in front of god; she would be free. but no, she wasn't a puppet, she wasn't a marionette.

because she is one, and will always be one.

holding onto barbatos arm that held the dagger, she stabbed it right at the chest, in the heart, "so, i beg you to keep your word."

and the blood was everywhere.

the blood was everywhere.

the blood wasn't his.

it wasn't his.

it was hers.

━━━━━

( CHAPTER XXVIII )