Chapter 36

What the buttfuck is happening

Third person pov

The Uchiha compound burst to life, all in one evening. It was of great abnormality that the walls that surrounded it restored themselves, un-crumbling, overgrowth shrinking back, and moss seeping away. A small utopia seemed to make itself known within the compound, trees unfurling with flowers that shouldn't have been in season, and house lights flickering on. The few individuals who happened to pass by the area that night were stopped in their tracks, astonished by the sudden transformation, not quite believing what they were seeing. It was as though time had been turned back. They half expected to see members of the clan out wandering about, going about their lives just as they used to.

Word spread fast as pathways were re-paved, the grass that had fought through cement uprooted, the cracks sealed. Those who wandered over in the night to see if the rumors were true would claim to see a girl in a construction helmet rushing about, Sasuke Uchiha with matching headwear rushing after her and picking up her insanely long hair for her as they went. It was... intimidating. Only a few people knew what would truly make the Uchiha Compound mysteriously restore itself in such a quick and precise manner, and those who didn't were left in the dark to wonder what otherworldly forces were at play.

"There didn't used to be a hole in this roof." Sasuke noted, arms full of Ima's hair. He and Ima hadn't slept all night, too busy running around the compound and addressing the many issues it had developed over the years during its abandonment. She'd imagined their wakefulness into reality, so neither of them were actually tired from their endless crusade. It was unreal to have her here, just like old times. Sasuke was admittedly glad he didn't need to sleep. It meant more time with her! Even if the house they were in was making rather... precarious creaks. Hence the hardhats, which made them invincible to harm. Apparently. At this rate, they'd definitely find out.

"It's a great spot for a skylight, actually." Ima squinted. Sasuke hummed a bit, squinting up at the hole as well. He would've thought doing this would be... harder. This was the place he grew up, and the place his entire family had been killed. Being with Ima made this far, far easier than it ever could've been if he tried to go in alone. 

"A round one would look good." Sasuke said, because the hole was already kind of round anyway. Ima nodded in agreement, and Sasuke watched with mild awe as a window frame began to sprout around the edges of the hole, smoothing out its raggedness. The rotting wood seemed to restore itself all on its own. Sasuke had seen this countless times-- not just tonight, but ever since he'd met Ima. It still never got any less amazing. "I was right."

"You almost always are." Ima chirped, beaming at him. He smiled back, feeling lighter already. His clan would surely be happy to see their home in such a state. It was arguably nicer than it had been even when they were still alive, everything looking like new. The entire thing had a professionally-landscaped feel about it, the roads all new, the houses all sturdy, the rooves all in mint condition. Sasuke never thought his home could look like this ever again. The land had died with his clan. It was only now that it was being brought to life.

They retreated back out onto the street as the inside of the home came together around them, not wanting to get hit in the face by broken glass that was flying back into place or bags of trash that were hurtling about to scoop up unneeded debris and long-rotted food. The sun was just beginning to come up, casting a comforting orange glow over the main street of the compound. The pair of teenagers stopped for a moment, hovering in the middle of the street and gazing out at their work. 

After a night spent going from house to house, recalling who lived there, what they were like, what their home used to look like and what it would look like repaired-- they'd finally done it. The Uchiha compound was beautiful, Ima thought. Had she been born normal, she thinks this is the type of place she would've liked to have been raised in. A close-knit community, with a strong feeling of pride and kinship. Sasuke's family. She wished she could imagine they were alive.