Chapter 35

*Inhales*

I live.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY IMASECRETYOUCANTTELL YOU DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS BUT YOU OFFHANDEDLY MENTIONED THAT YOU LIKED IT SO HERE WE ARE IT WAS THE UNINTENTIONAL PUSH I NEEDED-

That's right. It's time guys. It's time... to get this bread. It's also 2:00 AM so like I'm delirious don't expect quality----

Third person pov

Sasuke's compound wasn't the best place on the planet, Ima had to admit. It was actually quite sad to walk through the abandoned cluster of homes, the stunning realization that it resembled the ghost town she'd lived in up until recently hitting her harder than she thought it might of. Sasuke seemed more subdued than usual, walking alongside her as they made their way deeper into the abandoned area. Ima frowned at all the caving roofs and crumbling walls. It was shocking how quickly things tended to rot away when nobody was there to manage their upkeep.

Sasuke glanced at Ima as the girl's eyes roamed about, taking it all in. In another life perhaps he could have brought her here to meet his family, and to live amongst the clan. Though they weren't too friendly to outsiders in many of Sasuke's memories, and certainly not welcoming to the ones who yearned to stay, Ima was nice enough that she'd grow on you fast before you even realized. Sasuke liked to think they'd see how much he cared for her and would allow her to live there, and allow Sasuke to marry her if he pleased, and if she agreed. 

Ima's hand found Sasuke's at some point as they walked, and she frowned, wondering what it might be like if the grass weren't so dead. It made the entire place look drabber, the blades that should have been a vibrant green shriveled up to faded, sun-bleached brown. It would be so pretty to watch it blanket the small yards offered. And if the flowerbeds were free of weeds, and instead full of flowers. Not wildly exotic ones, but normal, pretty ones that most people put in front of their houses. And the fences she saw around and about sure could use some fresh coats of paint. They were dull and faded, some knocked over entirely or breaking apart. Those ones needed to be replaced more than anything else.

Sasuke's grip on Ima's hand tightened as his throat closed up slightly, his eyes going wide as the compound slowly started to come to life around him. It was a very gradual thing, and at first he hadn't noticed it. He'd tried his best to keep the compound as in tact as possible, but as a kid, he'd been too wrapped up in his grief. He couldn't really blame himself. This was one of the only times he'd been back to this place since... since that night.

First came the grass. It perked up considerably, green seeping back into it as it rose back to life. It was almost like it was waking up, very slowly coming to attention. At first it looked overgrown, but the tips of the blades were very swiftly chopped off. It was like an invisible mower had swept across the lawn in one fell swoop, successfully leveling it all to a reasonable and pleasant height. The vibrancy contrasted greatly against the faded and broken homes.

Sasuke had seen Ima's powers at work before, but there was nothing he could do to shake the deep sense of awe that pervaded him as the weeds in the flower boxes that sat in front of several houses died. They all twisted in on themselves, sinking down back into the ground like they were un-growing. It was all reversed, rewinding until they were no more. Sasuke's heart swelled as flowers that didn't technically exist sprung up in a manner that was bordering on cheerful, the wind ruffling them. They weren't as insane as some of the ones he'd seen in Ima's Wilderness. In fact, they looked nearly stationary. Normal. It was only if you looked too long that you realized you'd never seen anything quite like them.

Overgrown trees and bushes were trimmed back, branches falling only to get shoved away by an invisible force towards subtle dumpsters that hadn't existed before. Sasuke stayed quiet as Ima's imagination ran rampant. Paint ran up houses, bricks washed themselves, fences stood up slowly and creaked as they were repaired and re-painted. Broken and faded doors were rejuvenated, washed clean of grime and refinished. Porches were swept, foundations were repaired, and the damaged roofs settled upon many of the houses suddenly looked fresh and clean.