Chapter 16

Sasuke's pov

Why?

I knock myself out, and I get nothing. Nothing but nightmares, something I haven't had since I was a child. So why now? Why can't I see Ima? Why can't I visit her wilderness? Was she real at all? I just want to hug her, and laugh with her, and explore with her. Like we did every night. Like normal. I just wanted to be with Ima, and I wanted to find out where she was, and get to her. In all honesty, when I thought about restoring my clan one day, I thought of her. When asked what made me happy, I thought of her. When asked about my hobbies, I thought about hanging out with her. At this point, Ima's become my everything. And I'm okay with that. I was okay with that. 

She's just gone now, and I don't know if I'll ever see her again.

For the first time in years, I cried.

Ima's pov

"This is... a town." I awed as we entered the down. I had given Oberon a pair of baggy pants and a hoodie. The hoodie did a good job hiding his horns and such, but the pants... well, they just followed the shape of his legs, and you could still see his hooves. Despite that, we didn't get all that many odd looks. It was relieving, and also odd. Seeing people like this... it was scary, and new. But none of them bothered me, or Oberon. They went about their business without so much as a glance our way.

"Come on, Kid. We aren't far from Sasuke's village. At least, I don't think we are. I haven't ventured out for a while..." He trailed off, scratching his beard a little. "You have a good memory though, don't you?" I blinked curiously at him. Surely he'd at least remember if it was far away or not. "Yeah, I do. But your wilderness doesn't stay in one place for very long. It moves." Oberon said. His words sent a jolt through my body. My wilderness could, and had been, moving? "Is it alive?" I blinked. Oberon shrugged. "I really don't know. I mean, it doesn't have legs or anything. It just sort of... shifts." He glanced up at me. I looked to the ground, gnawing on my lip.

"Are you lost, little girl?" I spun around to see it was an older man, one with a small cart of bruised apples, and a shaggy blanket thrown over his shoulder. Clearly, he was homeless. "U-Um, no sir. Thank you for your concern." I gave a small bow, unsure of what else to do. Even if I grew up without parents, I still know what manners are. "Yeah, we're good. Scram, yah old fart." Oberon waved him off. My eyes widened. "Oberon!" I hissed, swatting at his head. "Be nice!"

"Ah, it's no big deal, young lady." He smiled an almost-toothless smile that sent shivers down my spine. I took a slightly step back, twiddling my bangs nervously. The man scooted forward slightly, and I immediately knew something was off. I felt my heart skip a beat, and Oberon stepped in front of me protectively. "If you don't back the fuck you're gonna get beat the fuck up." He hissed angrily, scuffing at the dirt with his foot like a bull about to charge. My hands raised, and I prepared myself to make something.

"Tch." The old man's face twisted nastily as his expression turned a scowl. "You brats are no fun." He turned around speedily and walked off without the limp he'd had before, and I let out a breath. Out here... out here is scarier that my wilderness ever was. "That was scary." I voiced. "It was also, unfortunately, normal." Oberon grumbled, turning on his hoof and stalking off. I hurriedly followed, pulling my sleeves nervously over my hands. 

We went right through the town, stopping only for a bathroom break and to let me try some dumplings. I was in awe at their taste. In my wilderness, food and sleep weren't a problem at all. But out here, I function more like a normal human. It's sort of refreshing, needing water, food and having to go to the bathroom. Even getting tired is an oddly welcomed change. Having to stop to catch my breath. Along with those things, seeing real animals again was really interesting, and so was seeing insects and plants. Everything out here was so low-key. 

"Yeah, we're definitely getting close to Konoha. We probably wont get there until tomorrow morning. Assuming we end up making camp along the way." Oberon hummed. "Camp." I awed. I've never had to 'camp' before. "Yeah, camp." He grinned a lopsided grin. "What do you think Sasuke will do when he sees me? I'm worried, because I don't think he's appearing in my wilderness anymore, and if he is, he's alone." I laced my hands together behind my back, patiently waiting for Oberon to think out an answer.

"I think he'll hug you." Oberon said. I blinked. "Really? We don't really come into physical contact much." I scratched the back of my neck. "You sorta do." He shrugged. "I guess so." I pursed my lips, looking up at the canopy of trees. The leaves were such a vibrant green: a color I'd never really seen on trees. 

"Come on, kid." Oberon sped up, and I did too. I looked to the sky.

We're coming, Sasuke.