Chapter 15

Rian sat squished to the side of the car. She wanted to get as far away from Adam as possible his rude behaviour had rattled her from earlier. They had both been asked to wait in the car so they could make a grand entrance to their friends and family and have been asked to act as the happy couple.

Adams door opened and the driver informed him that they were ready for 'the bride and groom' to enter. Not turning her way he fled the car as if being in her presence chocked him and walked to her side of the car. Not wanting him to open her door she flung it open and dragged her dress out from behind her. As she started walking forward a strong hand clasped her elbow and pulled her back.

"Don't forget me wifey" looking into his eyes she couldn't understand why he had suddenly switched.

"What happened to you? Seriously one minute your telling me you'll do a husbands duty blah blah blah and now your acting as if you can't stand to be around me! We were intimate for Christ's sake" she brought the last part of her rant to a whisper hoping her fathers driver wouldn't hear.

Adam took her elbow tight and pulled her to his side.

"It was just a lay. A one time thing. Now smile and pretend" with that he dragged her towards the door.

Stunned and a little hurt by his words Rian kept her mouth shut her face void of any emotion. She wondered how she could be so stupid as to think it would mean anything, after all they had only just met. A heat of the moment type of thing.

Walking in to the main lobby she was handed a glass of champagne which she took gratefully. Following Adam to the main hall she braved herself for when the doors opened. She knew behind this door were not only her close family and friends along with Adams, but business partners and the odd unwelcome guest.

"Remember to smile" Adams strong voice whispered towards her ear.

"Don't worry darling you just focus on yourself"

With that the doors opened and the smiles were slapped on. They were treated with raised glasses and cheering. A long table was plastered in the middle of the room with their loved ones scattered along the seats. Two were left empty in the middle for them their fathers next to them. With a smile they began their walk say 'hellos' and 'thank yous' as they went. Looking up she clocked eyes with the oldest Duke brother, he sipped his glass and held her gaze causing the hairs to stand on her arms. She unconsciously held onto Adam a bit tighter, which did not go unnoticed, and threw him a small smile and a nod. Adam followed her gaze and in response tightened his hold on her arm and guided her quicker to their seats.

Sitting down she looked to her dad and darted her eyes to the Duke and back as quick as she could asking him a silent question. Anthony leaned down to his daughter and whispered:

"It's okay Ri, we need to be showing good face" with a nod she understood.

The Dukes were someone the Blackwells did business with often, they weren't friendly more tolerant of each other. The Duke sitting across from her was Ethan. Ethan Duke was a handsome man but his sly arrogant attitude made him ugly, he constantly would have a smirk plastered on his face especially in the presence of Rian. She looked at him again to which she found him already looking at her, and he raised his glass as if to toast her.

"Why is he sitting so close to us" she whispered to her father not turning his way and she waved at a few family members down the table.

"You know what they say. Friends close. Enemies closer. I was given some...information. We will discuss at home." With that she knew it was the end of discussion until her father brought it up again.

Light chatter began to fill the room as the two families began to get to know one another and the food was placed in-front of them. Adam stole quick glances towards his soon to be wife, gone was her smile she held for her family and relaxed posture, in its place she was sat up right and tense with a blank expression with one of her slim eyebrows half raised as she whispered to her father. Leaning over her bumper her shoulder with his giving her a questioning nod when she looked his way.

Giving him a small smile in return she filled up his glass like a good wife would and then took a sip of her own. Adam took her hand in his and placed a light kiss on her ring finger to which she raised her brow again.

"Are you done being a rude bastard now?" She said barely above a whisper.

Before Adam was able to answer a voice reached his ears across the table directed towards Rian.

"So Rian I wasn't aware you were seeing anyone let alone getting married?" Ethan Dukes voice brought everyone else's to a mere whisper.

"I keep business separate from my personal life" Rians voice was strong, dominating even. Adam shifted slightly closer to her.

"Oh please i believe it would have come up in conversation no? That you were dating Adam Martinez" Ethan had now gained the attention of Anthony. The three watched as he swirled his drink around in his glass. His gazed shifted from Rian to Adam and the smirk on his lips almost turned devilish.

"I must say Adam you are lucky"

"Please elaborate" Adam refused to show emotion in his voice but deep down he wanted to wipe the smirk off his face.

"Why Adam you don't know" Ethan gestures towards Rian "you have a beautiful woman"

Pulling Rian tight into his side, Adam nodded in appreciation but his body soon tensed as he notice the Dukes eye trail down Rians body.

"I mean not only is she beautiful. She's smart, strong minded and not to mention has a fabulous body"

"Watch yourself boy" Anthony's voice rang through the glasses catching more attention from those at the table. This only caused the smirk on Ethan's face to grow wider.

Ethan's eye travelled back to Rian more importantly to her breasts. He licked his lips and looked straight in Adams eyes, who looked about ready to pounce.

"Do you think me a fool? Tony maybe you should have picked me to be her bride instead. I'd fuck her go-"

Before he could finish off his sentence, Adam ripped himself away from Rian and before she could catch his arm to stop him he was across the table fist flying first.