Chapter 17

"I'll be seeing you flower"

The note that Rian and James found upon entering the bathroom was currently being passed around the kitchen table, Rian watched with a mug of tea in her hands waiting for someone to say something. Her father sat with clenched fists, she could practically see the wheels turning in his head and the steam coming from his ears.

Things like this had happened before. People had tried to threaten the Blackwell family both in person and remotely. But none had ever made it inside the house, many has tried but never got past the yellow roses by the front gate before a bullet was lodged securely between their eyes.

"Nico. I want to know how. How  some bastard got past the gate. The gate YOU were in charge of tonight. How he got into my house. Into MY daughters bedroom. And left. Alive" Tony Blackwell shook harder as each word flew from his lips looking at his head security square in the eyes.

Watching the 50 something year old man visibly gulp Rian couldn't help but feel for him.

"Sir-" cutting the man off not wishing to hear his excuses.

"I want to know now. Or would you prefer a bullet?" The family all shifted in their seats. Rians eyes going wide as she looked at her mother, not missing how her brothers automatically tested their hands on their belts or what was in their belts. Their father had a reputation for his temper one they've seen get out of control on occasion.

"Tony-" pushing his wife's hand from his arm he slammed his hand down on the table and jumped to his feet pulling out his gun pointed it straight.

"They were in my daughters room"

"Sir plea-"

"Anthony put the gun down" Rita's voice rang out m, concerned for the man that has been by their side the longest. She grabbed her husbands face and directed it to her her worried eyes met his frantic cold ones as she rubbed his cheek with her thumb. Clutching the weapon tighter he turned back to face his head of security only to be met with his daughters brown eyes staring down the barrel of his gun instead.

His wife gasped and his sons shot to their feet. Rian stood infront if Nico acting as a barrier between him and his decided fate.

"Rian move" Tony's voice all but boomed.

Standing straight Rian shook her head.

"Dad lets put the gun down now ok" Nathan's voice was soft as if he was scared that if his voice was too loud it could cause the unthinkable.

Rian watched her dead adjust the grip on his gun causing her mother to gulp fear crawling across her face.

"Daddy put the gun down now" Rian wasn't scared.

"No."

"Yes. Stop being silly now Daddy and put the gun down" still speaking calmly she darted her eyes to James noticing his eyes fixed on their dad his hand now clutching his own gun as if ready draw at any moment.

"Silly? You think I'm being silly? He left a person in this house put you and you mother at risk-" cutting him off Rian spoke confidently

"Dad. This is Nico. You and I both know he would never ever put our family at risk as he is apart of it." Looking hun square in the eye she continued

"daddy he has been with you every step of the way since before you and mum were married. He is part of this family. Our family. He wouldn't do anything to hurt us on purpose. Now I'm not asking I'm telling put the gun down."

Rian reached forward and grabbed the gun between her delicate fingers before gently pulling it out of her father's grasp. Not breaking eye contact with other her dad she passed the gun to Nathaniel who was quick to take the bullets out.

The tension in the room was high as Rian watched her mother guide her fathers tense body out of the room. Nausea crept up her throat but she pushed the feeling down as she turned to the man that had helped protect her her entire life. Offering him a soft smile she spoke

"I'm sorry Nico dads just-" cutting of the young women Nico chuckled

"My dear this is not the first time your father has pointed a gun at my head nor will it be the last. I thank you for defending me I do" wishing the family a good night be walked out the house as if nothing had happened.

Blowing out a sigh Rian collapsed onto the chair in front of her. The note didn't scare her, she had been through worse. Much worse.

"Rian do you want me to sleep on your couch tonight?" Meeting James's worried gaze she smiled.

"No I'll be ok Jamie, besides tomorrow is a hectic day and I'm sure mumma will be getting me up at the crack of dawn. I wouldn't want her to wake you"

At the mention of their sisters wedding day the brothers scowled making Rian chuckle. Kissing both of them on the cheek she shuffled off to her room and it was only when her door was closed that she allowed her body to shake. The weight of the evenings events crushing her thoughts. The dinner. The fight between Adam and Ethan. Adams behaviour and sudden mood shift. The note. Her dad aiming a gun at his trusted friend. Rian standing in front of that gun.

Feeling her phone start vibrating in her clutch she let out an exaggerated groan ripping it from inside. Looking at the name that flashed on her screen she groaned once again.

Adam

Hitting the little red circle she made her way to her bed throwing her phone onto the plush duvet only to see it light up again with his name. She stalked away from her phone and into her en-suite she unconsciously began to scan her surroundings looking for any indicator or sign of the intruder.

She was pulled out of her search by a pounding on the door. Braving herself in her sink she debated if she wanted to answer or not wishing she could be left alone to sleep. Pushing herself away from the marble she stomped over to the source of the banging and practically pulled the door frame from its foundation in the wall. Meeting her brothers gaze he held his phone out to her.

"Speak to him" trying to shove his phone in her hand she shoved it away.

"No. I'm going to bed" trying to close her door Nathan lodged it open with his foot.

"Rian. Take the bloody phone"

Rubbing her head trying to relieve the tension forming between her brow she grabbed the revice and held it to her ear.

"What?" Too tired to be nice had settled in

"Why didn't you answer your phone?" Adams gruff voice sung in her ears.

"I didn't want to" Rian wasn't in the mood to talk as she closed her door and began to undress.

"I called you 7 times. When I call you ans-" cutting him off with a sigh Rian tried to keep her voice calm.

"Adam I don't have to do anything. Now what the fuck do you want. It has been a stressful evening and I wish to retire to my bed before tomorrows antics" she could feel her voice begin to rise.

"Just checking you're alive. Goodnight." With that he hung up the phone. She was too tired to care and flung her brothers phone onto her night stand before collapsing on the bed.

Her eyes shot open as she looked at the ceiling. Realisation dawning on her again.

She was getting married tomorrow.