Chapter 3

Looking at her watch again she couldn't help but sigh. She knew that with out a doubt she was going to be late.

Drumming her fingers on her lap, she heaved a sigh. She was beginning to get restless, she hated being late. Looking at her watch again she caught the attention of Adam who had been watching the drunk of her fingers for the last few minutes.

"Somewhere to be princess" Adams harsh voice echoed in the car. The fidgeting clearly began to get on his nerves.

Looking at him with frowned brows she wondered where his sudden harshness had come from, yes she understood the content two of her index finger may have been annoying but What was with the 'princess'?

"Excuse me?" She turned to face him and caught his cold stare

"Are you deaf? Or just stuck in your own world you chose to ignore? I asked if you have somewhere to be because you keep looking at your watch every ten seconds"

Shock ran through her body hitting every nerve on its way. Rian was as snappy as they came, she had never let anyone talk to her is such a way. But in this instance she just couldn't find the will to respond. She watched as John whipped around from the front seat, anger evident at his sons behaviour.

"Adam" the warning was clear in his tone

"It's okay John" Rian smiled at the older man. Clearly Adams good looks were just hiding his arrogance.

The three sat in silence. Finding no more words to be spoken. Adam not knowing what came over him nor why he spoke that way, continued to look straight ahead. John looked out the window, anger rolling off him in waves at his sons behaviour. Rian was sat fluffing her hair in order to cover the device, suddenly very conscious. Just then her father sat in the car and heaved a sigh, looking over to John he nodded his head as if confirming a silent agreement. He then turned around to look at her with apologetic eyes.

"I'm sorry baby, how late are you?" He questioned

"It's okay daddy, we still have time" she said with a small smile

With a nod, he started the engine. Rian pushes herself up against the door, not in the mood to make conversation. In fact, the whole car seemed to be tense, everyone on edge. Trying to brake the clear tension, John cleared his throat.

"So Rian tell me more about yourself" he turned to her from the front seat with an almost pleading smile on his face. Ignoring the sigh from the man next to her. Asshole

"There's not much to tell I'm afraid, I graduated with a degree in accounting and finance erm...there's not much else I don't think" she suddenly struggled to talk about herself

" I mean hobbies dear. Tell me your hobbies" he said with a chuckle

"I'm not very interesting I'm afraid John. My hobbies involve those of any 21 year old woman, shopping, a little reading and cooking here and there" she finished with a mere shrug not feeling in the mood to talk about her self.

"I had a feeling you'd be into shopping" Adams gruff voice mumbled from his seat.

Turning towards him, Rian has narrowed her eyes. She could she he had made a judgment about her and about the type of person she was.

"Yes. Shopping. Buying shit. Clothes, shoes, handbags. Shopping" feeling her temper getting out of control she soothed down her shirt and took a deep breath.

"Is there something you'd like to get off your chest?" Anthony said looking in the rear view mirror pulling up to Rians destination.

"It's alright dad" holding up her hand to stop her father from continuing, she spoke again "if Adam wishes to surround himself in his own arrogance and make judgmental assumptions about people he met over some scrambled eggs, we shall let him" with a tight lipped smile thrown towards Adam.

She opened the car door and blew a kiss towards her father, exiting the car she took her leave. But choosing to turn back she knocked on the window and waited for it to come to a stop.

"And to answer your previous statement. Yes I am in fact deaf" with a tap on the door frame she addressed the whole car.

" see you all at dinner"